Recent posts

Main Message Board / Change water pump?
Last post by pbyrne - Yesterday at 08:58:07 PM
Noticed this discolouration under the water pump (I believe), and thought I'd ask here is there is something to be concerned about.

The engine has less than 900 hours on it, and I've never found any water there, but clearly something is going on.

Thoughts?
Main Message Board / Re: Practical Sailor Video on ...
Last post by pbyrne - Yesterday at 08:50:56 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on Yesterday at 02:48:15 PMGuys : The best way to treat your holding than is NO PAPER in to the head/holding tank!!!

I talked to the Japsco reps and they agree!! 

We put all used toilet tissue/paper in a zip lock bag and dispose of it with the garbage!!

A few thoughts

I get the science, but I would never get any guests on board if I asked them to pack in and pack out toilet paper!  :D
Main Message Board / Re: Shower issue
Last post by pbyrne - Yesterday at 08:48:55 PM
The second pump is for the shower/icebox drain if I remember correctly.  It's what runs when you use the power switch in the head.

If the water pressure pump is running every 1 second, it's trying to maintain pressure in the lines.  If you get no water, then I would check the strainer on the end of the faucet if you have one.  Especially if neither hot or cold work.

I had this exact situation on the galley faucet and it turned out the faucet strainer was full of crap.  Where it came from I have no idea, but it was enough to plug the strainer and block all water flow.
Main Message Board / Shower issue
Last post by Gulfsailor - Yesterday at 07:52:44 PM
Aboard today I stepped into the head to take a shower. When I turned on the switch then opened the faucet, I got no water and heard the water pump cycle in 1 second intervals.

I go the galley sink, turn on the water...no issue...full flow. It looks like there are two fresh water pumps under the galley sink (one for the the shower and one for the galley sink).

Any ideas on what the problem with the shower is? It worked fine a few weeks ago.

Thank you for your input.
Main Message Board / Single reefing point good enou...
Last post by pbyrne - Yesterday at 06:12:37 PM
Like many (all?), it seems that I've only got a single reefing point, even though the boom can accept another reefing line.

Was this a 'cheap' out on Catalina's part, or is a single reefing point enough? 

I've got a MKII and the what feels like a too large 135% genoa, and trying to see if it makes sense to add the second reefing line or not.

Main Message Board / Re: Blocking stand question
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 02:55:48 PM
Benrd : Thump the hull and you'll find a bulkhead just aft of where the center stands are now.

MOVE THEM !!!!! 

Also make sure that the majority of the weight is on the nose of the keel - Check to make sure that the majority of the weight is NOT on the fwd stands!!

On my boat (wing keel) the fwd stands are just there and snug against the hull - no weight!

A thought
Main Message Board / Re: Practical Sailor Video on ...
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 02:48:15 PM
Guys : The best way to treat your holding than is NO PAPER in to the head/holding tank!!!

I talked to the Japsco reps and they agree!! 

We put all used toilet tissue/paper in a zip lock bag and dispose of it with the garbage!!

A few thoughts
Main Message Board / Re: Epic sailing photos!!
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 02:37:07 PM
Alex : Nice photos!!   :clap
Main Message Board / Re: Looking for info fridge to...
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 02:32:39 PM
Guys : The Mk II has a Corian rather than a Formica counter top.

Depending on your lid, I was able to screw a brass cup holder in the underside of the teak above and have it catch (when open) the ring on the fridge lid - so it will stay open!!   :thumb:

A thought