Practical Sailor Video on Toilet Stink

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

KWKloeber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6eMUqbB1Jg

Re: PS comment about facial tissues in the head. Buy a weighted teak or resin cube tissue box holder, spray-glue non-skid to the bottom, and use a roll of potty paper inside.

That was my normal go-to at home before I was shamed for wanting to re-engineer everything I put my hands on. :shock: 8)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : The best way to treat your holding than is NO PAPER in to the head/holding tank!!!

I talked to the Japsco reps and they agree!! 

We put all used toilet tissue/paper in a zip lock bag and dispose of it with the garbage!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 26, 2024, 02:48:15 PMGuys : The best way to treat your holding than is NO PAPER in to the head/holding tank!!!

We put all used toilet tissue/paper in a zip lock bag and dispose of it with the garbage!!

A few thoughts

I get the science, but I would never get any guests on board if I asked them to pack in and pack out toilet paper!  :D
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Ted Pounds

Quote from: pbyrne on May 26, 2024, 08:50:56 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on May 26, 2024, 02:48:15 PMGuys : The best way to treat your holding than is NO PAPER in to the head/holding tank!!!

A few thoughts

I get the science, but I would never get any guests on board if I asked them to pack in and pack out toilet paper!  :D

Forget the guests, I never would never get my wife on board. 😜
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

KWKloeber

QuoteI get the science, but I would never get any guests on board if I asked them to pack in and pack out toilet paper!  :D

Just looking for everyone's experience on this.  Would that include uninvited "guests"?  You know, the, "I see you're going out alone today. Can I tag along?" type dock neighbors? :rolling :donno: :cry4` :shock: :?: :| 

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry, but it was my wife's (The Admirals') idea!!!!  And it works!!!

Have NEVER had a guest object!! or they don't have to use MY head!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

WBev

The "no paper" technique works, and we took up the idea after trips to the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica.  If you line a small waste can with deodorizing trash bags, and it has a lid, it works flawlessly.
The Admiral is fully on-board with this, and in five years no guest has ever balked to our faces at least.
Recently we switched to a C355 and carry this no-paper practice forward.

Of course, YMMV.
Perfectly Imperfect
2019 C-355 WK

waughoo

I honestly have never had any trouble with TP being a problem.  We just bought a big batch of single ply from the grocery store and it goes down just fine.  I use a No Flex digester in our tank and flush it twice when pumping it out.  I have never yet had an issue.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on May 31, 2024, 11:03:35 AMI honestly have never had any trouble with TP being a problem.  We just bought a big batch of single ply from the grocery store and it goes down just fine.  I use a No Flex digester in our tank and flush it twice when pumping it out.  I have never yet had an issue.

I agree wholeheartedly, and this ^^^ is what we have been doing for the last 25 years with no issues.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."