New Owner Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

Krafty, below is a link to the itc5 which interfaces your instruments if one is present. Which chartplotter do you have? If it's an older model your instruments will plug into the rear of the plotter. Newer plotters use a SeaTalkng network system which requires an itc-5 module which then plugs into the plotter.
I had issues with my old c80 plotter and i6o wind instrument not seeing wind speed or direction, and now my Axiom + with the itc-5 works well. My itc5 is mounted at the forward end of the port side cockpit locker.
If you do have an itc5 the LEDs on the instrument will help you trouble shoot. If yours is an older system the only way to find the source of the problem is to access the cable ends behind the plotter, at he mast head, or in the junction box which sits inside the bottom of the mast. That box connects the instrument wire in the mast to the wire which runs down into the boat through the compression post and back to the plotter.
Best of luck

https://www.raymarine.com/en-us/download/itc-5-manuals
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

krafty81

The survey says it is a "C series" so I assume it is the older one. Will be going back to the boat tomorrow. I had them ask the current owner if it has ever worked or he just never connected it. Will bring binocs to look at the top of the mast as best we can. Thanks for the link.
2007 Catalina 34 Mk II, Hull #1786

robbjd

Our C80 was no longer supported by Raymarine. When I spoke to tech support in 2021 no one working there knew much about that series of plotter. The map functions and the GPS position worked well, but the GPS date wasn't updating and wind data wasn't available.
You may want to determine what you want in a new system and negotiate with the seller so you can replace the plotter with a current model. We went with a 12"Axiom+, new i70 multi function display, new wind instrument, and an EV-100 wheel pilot.
It was a lot of money but the performance improvement was worth it. The 34Mk2 is a great boat and yours will be 10 years newer than ours.
Best of luck
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

krafty81

I would be happy with the current plotter if it displayed wind data. Plenty of other expenses in taking on this boat right now. Will see what I can figure out.

krafty81

So visited the boat today. The anemometer is not spinning. The wind direction DOES indicate on the display. After getting the boat, will be heading up the mast to check that out!

KWKloeber

Sometimes it's as simple as spiders messing up the pivot
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

krafty81

Small issue. The main table down below wobbles. It is not the bolted in collar around it, just that the table wobbles in the collar. Thinking about stuffing a piece of rubber in there. Any ideas?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe main table down below wobbles. It is not the bolted in collar around it, just that the table wobbles in the collar. Thinking about stuffing a piece of rubber in there. Any ideas?

There're some attempted fixes written up here, search and read but none really stops the wobble.  I got tired of the wobble and put a brace under the table to the compression post. No more wobble, can cut a steak without spilling wine. :thumb:   A couple of taped holes into the compression post and one screw on the bottom of the table.  Can't see the mod, hasn't been a problem for me, and if I do want to move the table it's only one screw. 
Tried to post pictures, but not working like it used to.  Darn computer "upgrades".
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Jim

Is it defo that the tube wobbles and it's not the sole that allows movement?

The C-30 dinette layout saloon table has a weak sole "problem" that drove me crazy with table wobble, but I fixed that easy peazy like.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

krafty81

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 10, 2024, 10:38:33 AMJim

The C-30 dinette layout saloon table has a weak sole "problem" that drove me crazy with table wobble, but I fixed that easy peazy like.
The bracket around the pole is solid, it wobbles inside the bracket. Will try a piece of rubber in there first.

KWKloeber

Quote from: krafty81 on September 11, 2024, 01:02:40 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on September 10, 2024, 10:38:33 AMJim

The bracket around the pole is solid, it wobbles inside the bracket. Will try a piece of rubber in there first.

A strip of thin rubber (inner tube?) contact-cemented to the inside of the base?

Not knowing precisely the base/tube form factor, this is a guess: an L bracket bolted to the base with a knob that screws into a threaded hole on, or tightens against the tube? 

KeelsonGraham

I have a Mk II about the same age as yours. In addition to the other good comments, I would take a close look at the raw water pump. If it hasn't ever been replaced then it almost certainly needs to be. I'd start by looking for signs of water weeping, or rust, around it and, after my own recent experience, I would definitely take the pump off and inspect the slot at the end of the camshaft for undue wear.

I've had to replace a LOT of stuff on my boat. I'm starting to think that at this particular age point, the boat has a lot of OEM stuff that's reaching its end of life. An older boat - it's probably been replaced already. A younger boat, it's probably not yet worn out.

I love the boat so I'm not too fed up with the technical issues but, jeez, it would be nice to get through one season without a serious issue.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

krafty81

Everything checks out good on the new boat. One issue though, is that the shower will not drain in the head. Wondering if a sea cock is closed - is there a good diagram of where they all are on this boat? The owners manual does not show. Thanks.

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: krafty81 on September 21, 2024, 04:17:15 PMEverything checks out good on the new boat. One issue though, is that the shower will not drain in the head. Wondering if a sea cock is closed - is there a good diagram of where they all are on this boat? The owners manual does not show. Thanks.

If it's like Shamrock, there's a sea cock under the galley sink, a valve to the pump, DC circuit breaker think it's marked sump pump and a waterproof switch in the head.  Heads up  :D  the filter/strainer on the pump may be plugged.
FWIW  I'm sure there's a plumbing diagram in my owner's manual.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA