New Owner Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

Our Mk2 has a pump under the galley sink which is activated by the switch in the head and it pumps both the head floor drain and the fridge drain. If your set up is similar and both valves are open you may not be able to drain the shower without closing the fridge drain.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

krafty81

Thanks shower sump pump working great - just need to turn on the switch in the head AND the C/B.

Okay now another issue -

Wife was using water as we were doing a deep cleaning on the interior. I refilled the tank. I left the water pump on when I did it. Now the water gurgles, stops and starts out of kitchen and head faucets. I can also hear the water pump running constantly. Did I screw something up?

The owners manual shows the forward and aft tanks. I only say the fill for "water" forward on the Port bow. Is there a different one? Do you have to select the forward or aft tanks? Not crazy about the Owners Manual!

Thanks!
2007 Catalina 34 Mk II, Hull #1786

KWKloeber

Quote from: krafty81 on September 22, 2024, 08:06:55 PMThanks shower sump pump working great - just need to turn on the switch in the head AND the C/B.

Okay now another issue -

Wife was using water as we were doing a deep cleaning on the interior. I refilled the tank. I left the water pump on when I did it. Now the water gurgles, stops and starts out of kitchen and head faucets. I can also hear the water pump running constantly. Did I screw something up?

Thanks!

Sounds to me that you have an air lock at the pressure switch of the pump.

The Wiki site has a water pump troubleshooting guide that I uploaded.
I always check the wiki first for issues/fixes because it's easier searching than the forum posts!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

robbjd

Our 97, Mk2 has isolation valves for both tanks under the galley sink. The fill for the stern tank is located on the starboard side of the transom coaming in the cockpit.
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

scgunner

krafty,

The water pump is a positive pressure demand type pump so when the psi drops it starts pumping and will continue to run whether it's pumping water or air until it gets the psi up to the shut off psi (turning off the faucet). Assuming the pump is good it's not pumping water because it doesn't have access to a water supply, could be your water tank valve(s) are shut off or possibly a blockage in the line. I'd start with filling both tanks opening all valves and let it run to see if you can get it flowing.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

On Shamrock all the valves and seacocks were and still are marked with a large plastic labels over the attached hoses.  Very useful.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

krafty81

Quote from: scgunner on September 23, 2024, 06:34:28 AMkrafty,

The water pump is a positive pressure demand type pump so when the psi drops it starts pumping and will continue to run whether it's pumping water or air until it gets the psi up to the shut off psi (turning off the faucet). Assuming the pump is good it's not pumping water because it doesn't have access to a water supply, could be your water tank valve(s) are shut off or possibly a blockage in the line. I'd start with filling both tanks opening all valves and let it run to see if you can get it flowing.

How does it know which tank to pull from? Do the valves under the sink control that? I need to label some valves!

krafty81

Quote from: robbjd on September 23, 2024, 06:20:28 AMOur 97, Mk2 has isolation valves for both tanks under the galley sink. The fill for the stern tank is located on the starboard side of the transom coaming in the cockpit.

Funny the owners manual shows one outboard on starboard side and does not show the one forward on the port side at all.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHow does it know which tank to pull from? Do the valves under the sink control that? I need to label some valves!

If I remember correctly on Shamrock under sink starboard there's a valve from the aft tank and a valve from the forward tank both plumbed in to a T that feeds the filter/pump.  Just open the valve to the wanted tank. 
FWIW I only use the forward tank for longer voyages. I believe it's best to use and replace the water more frequently.  Also with the anchor, chain, windless and air conditioner all forward I think the trim is a little better with an empty forward tank.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

robbjd

The fill for the forward tank is located above the tank in the anchor locker. If you're putting water into the "fill" on the port side you're filling your holding tank ! The caps on our Mk2 are all clearly marked, as are the lines from the water tanks under the galley sink.
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

krafty81

Thanks! I found the aft tank fill, all the way aft on stbd side unlike owners manual shows. Found the valves under thd sink too! Lo e this forum!

scgunner

krafty,

The pump doesn't know which tank to pull from it only knows to start pumping when the pressure drops. The valves determine which tank feeds the pump.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

krafty81

Quote from: scgunner on September 24, 2024, 06:41:13 AMkrafty,

The pump doesn't know which tank to pull from it only knows to start pumping when the pressure drops. The valves determine which tank feeds the pump.

Got it and I found them. Set up to pull from aft tank for now. Really appreciate the help and comments!

scgunner

krafty,

It's just part of getting to know your boat and it's systems along with your preferences. For example I prefer using the front tank because we sleep in the aft cabin and if the aft tank is used it will slosh once it gets down a ways. If you sleep in the V-berth not a problem. These are things you'll learn as you use your boat.

Noah

Interesting thread. I thought I knew a lot about "our boats" but apparently still lots to learn. What is the factory standard water tank configuration and how did it change with the years built?

Kevin—Do you have three water tanks? Aft, Starboard and V-berth?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig