New Owner Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

krafty81

Thanks. Funny that the two things I noted on this forum to look out for were engine mounts and wiring harness, both with problems on an otherwise very nice boat.

Surveyor recommended a 35 lb. Bruce/spade style anchor instead of the 22. We do go offshore/coastal from time to time here. What do you folks think?
2007 Catalina 34 Mk II, Hull #1786

Jon W

I would not buy a Bruce anchor for my primary. I have a 35lb Mantus M1. It's an excellent anchor, sets easily and solidly the first time. Others here swear by Rocna. If you want to watch independant real life testing of all sorts of anchors, watch the YouTube channel SV Panope. Very helpful in making an expensive, and critical equipment decision.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ted Pounds

Had bad luck with a Bruce anchor on a charter in the BVI.  Other anchor was a CQR and worked much better.  My C34 had a 35# CQR ant also worked well.  Current boats (20' sloop and 25' pontoon) use Rocnas and they work well.  I hear good things about the Mantus from other sources. 35# is probably the right size for whatever you choose.  Just back it up with lots of chain.  IIRC, Rocna recommends chain equal to at least the length of the boat(?).
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

krafty81

krafty81

Can't find the answer on the forum though I am sure it is here. Where do I find the hull number for the boat?

Jon W

I had a 35# Manson Supreme. After watching the tests for setting and re-setting on the channel I mentioned above, I switched to a 35# Mantus. I just sold my old Manson Supreme at our anual marina swap meet.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

HIN location -

https://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-hin.html

It will start with CTNYP nnnn but could be worn down and nearly unreadable.

On the C34.org home page there is a Google enhanced search box that is sometimes more helpful than the search feature on the Forum.  On the bottom starboard side of the page.

This is on a phone but it's nearly the same on a PC browser:
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

krafty81

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 28, 2024, 03:34:33 PMHIN location -

On the C34.org home page there is a Google enhanced search box that is sometimes more helpful than the search feature on the Forum.  On the bottom starboard side of the page.

Found it thanks!

KWKloeber

BTW,
There is a second "hidden" HIN per CG requirements somewhere below, but I do not know its location on the C-34s.

Quote from: krafty81 on August 29, 2024, 08:29:20 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on August 28, 2024, 03:34:33 PMHIN location -

Found it thanks!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

My hidden HIN number was on a sticker glassed over on the Starboard side of transverse bulkhead underneath the v-berth.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

krafty81

One more question - the Raymarine console does not show wind speed or direction. At the top of the mast, the wind sensor is spinning and the pointer points. Looks like a pretty new install of the multi-function screen. Any idea what the issue could be? Trying to get a feel for the scope of the repair. Will be back on the boat pierside in a few days, wondering if there is any troubleshooting I could do at that time. Have not closed the deal yet.

KWKloeber

Quote from: krafty81 on August 30, 2024, 02:30:18 PMthe wind sensor is spinning and the pointer points.

Are you looking at the Windex aft of the mastead or the Raymarine forward of the masthead?

Picture?

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: krafty81 on August 30, 2024, 02:30:18 PMOne more question - the Raymarine console does not show wind speed or direction. At the top of the mast, the wind sensor is spinning and the pointer points. Looks like a pretty new install of the multi-function screen. Any idea what the issue could be? Trying to get a feel for the scope of the repair. Will be back on the boat pierside in a few days, wondering if there is any troubleshooting I could do at that time. Have not closed the deal yet.

Because you have not closed yet I would say not much troubleshooting you could do.  No easy things like a fuse.  I suggest you bring binoculars with you and take a close look at the wind vane from the dock, look closely at the connection and wire at the masthead.  That's all that can be done without digging in and tracking wiring. 
Each install is a bit different so there's no way to tell without seeing it.  Basically there's wires to the back of the gage, probably to a distribution block and other instruments, ie autopilot, then to the mast base where there is another connection, then up the mast. Not easy troubleshooting.
I would not assume it was correct to begin with, it may not have ever worked.
I know it's not the answer you were looking for.  It could be a simple connector problem or anything else in the system.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

Ask the owner for details on how the system is wired (is it connected to a network?), and for any documentation of the system parts like age and model number. It may have an itc-5 module the wind instrument connects to, if so where is it located? All will make future troubleshooting easier.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

krafty81

Great suggestions thanks! Since the autopilot is a seperate system I am wondering if there is a way to check the wind input to that device while sitting on the pier. At least then I know it is feeding another device or if it is not. I will pass those questions to the owner.