Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: Change water pump?
Last post by KWKloeber - Today at 09:28:47 PM
The telltale weep hole is sending you a silent Mayday that the pump seal is leaking.

How tight is the engine belt?  Within spec/too tight?
Remove the belt and see if the shaft will wobble.  The pump seal and shaft and bearing can be replaced but the cost of getting the pump serviced might not be worth it compared to a new one.

There is an oddity on the B engines -- there are two different Kubota pumps with different P/Ns
and impeller sizes.  Apparently, the pump capacity was insufficient and the impeller size was increased, which necessitated a whole string of changes at the front end of the engine.
My guess is that Universals have the larger impeller. 
I am not 100% sure of the correct P/N for the B series engines but it is probably P/N #16241-73037 which is the newer P/N and probably the larger impeller. 
The older P/N is 16251-73032 and is probably the smaller impeller.

Take your old mump to the dealer to match it up to be sure.

If instead you want to order the rebuilding parts they are in the Kubota parts manual on the TechWiki.
Main Message Board / Re: Single reefing point good ...
Last post by Jim Hardesty - Today at 05:49:21 PM
QuoteYeah, that's the problem I have with the genoa.  It's sail shape isn't great when reefed, and I find the boat is comfortable around 15-20kts with the main reefed and the genoa around 90-110%?  Fully unfurled the boat heels too much for comfort to weather when gusting over 20kts.  Or it does for us!

Everyone has their own comfort level. Bob Guilletts book on sail trim helped me, I still look it over every spring. I also like his quick charts. Sails can be adjusted to spill wind and keep the boat on its feet.
Jim

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?51998/Sail-Trim-Users-Guide
Main Message Board / Re: Epic sailing photos!!
Last post by High Current - Today at 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: Noah on Today at 02:28:50 PMI assume you have fixed the topping lift? ;-)

Haha!  I wondered if anyone would notice.   :mrgreen:   Actually, the traveler had come apart and dumped its nylon bearings all over the deck earlier that day, so I dropped the boom to keep it from swaying unconstrained.  I fixed it the next morning but the photo op was gone by then.
Main Message Board / Re: Horror stories of struts a...
Last post by waughoo - Today at 04:26:23 PM
Oy!!! That's moderately scary.  However, it appears you caught it in time to avoid any major damage (stern tube replacement comes to mind).  Keep us posted on the replacement of the strut and motor mounts.  I have motor mounts on my short list.
Last post by waughoo - Today at 04:21:18 PM
Ben...

Congrats on being the first "non Alex" picture poster!  I like that shot.  It kinda looks like some sort of mystery movie scene.  Thanks for posting. 

Who's next?
Last post by pbyrne - Today at 02:40:29 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on Today at 02:07:08 PMpby : I make a small wad of toilet paper and stuff it in the bottom weep hole of the Sherwood. Run the engine a bit and then check that wad for wetness. Also check around the hoses leading to and from the Sherwood

A few thoughts

Will do! As always thank you Ron.  I'm assuming this weeping hole is there to alert you to something that needs fixed?  :cry4`
Last post by pbyrne - Today at 02:39:16 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on Today at 02:18:08 PMpby : From what I've seen of reefing point: The believe the sail maker puts a single reef point higher up in the main sail than when he puts in two reefing points!!

Personally I've never had to use the top reef point because the bottom one does the job, but like I mentioned I believe it is lower than where a single reef point would be.                                    I sail with a 150% jib, but with the Garhauer movable genoa cars I can roller in some of that 150% and it still holds its shape.

A few thoughts

I didn't know that about a single reefed main!  I assumed that the single point is the same as when there is 2 points.  Huh.

Yeah, that's the problem I have with the genoa.  It's sail shape isn't great when reefed, and I find the boat is comfortable around 15-20kts with the main reefed and the genoa around 90-110%?  Fully unfurled the boat heels too much for comfort to weather when gusting over 20kts.  Or it does for us!
Last post by Noah - Today at 02:28:50 PM
I assume you have fixed the topping lift? ;-)
Last post by Ron Hill - Today at 02:18:08 PM
pby : From what I've seen of reefing point: The believe the sail maker puts a single reef point higher up in the main sail than when he puts in two reefing points!!

Personally I've never had to use the top reef point because the bottom one does the job, but like I mentioned I believe it is lower than where a single reef point would be.                                    I sail with a 150% jib, but with the Garhauer movable genoa cars I can roller in some of that 150% and it still holds its shape.

A few thoughts
Last post by Ron Hill - Today at 02:07:08 PM
pby : I make a small wad of toilet paper and stuff it in the bottom weep hole of the Sherwood. Run the engine a bit and then check that wad for wetness. Also check around the hoses leading to and from the Sherwood

A few thoughts