Recent posts

Main Message Board / Re: Transmission Replacement: ...
Last post by waughoo - Today at 12:50:12 PM
Stu,

I also agree.  I honestly appreciate my m35 that has 4 cylinders as I feel it is a bit smoother when running.

The down side however is the fuel consumption.  Here in the PNW, there is a LOT of motoring (see Logo Freak's re-tank on his boat to increase fuel capacity). Using more fuel for little gain in performance seems a luxury not supported by the fuel capacity of the stock set up.
I'm not sure. This one is tan, no frame. I didn't order the sand bags but they will sell them separately.
Main Message Board / Re: conversion to propane
Last post by KWKloeber - Today at 11:45:09 AM
A "modern-vintage" range or gas grill with modern controls or that are compatible to be used with residential natural gas pressures and convertible to LPG is NOT comparable to a CNG device that was manufactured 30 years ago

From Sure Marine, who has done this since forever:
Bottom line:

The necessary parts to convert the oven and make it function are no longer available.

The issue is the oven thermostat control, which will almost certainly not be compatible with propane.

They no longer manufacture the correct, propane compatible thermostat to convert the stove.

Changing the jets will not make the oven run correctly.

Assuming you could locate an LPG compatible thermostat, there is still no way to convert the stove and have it be USCG/ABYC compliant.

Once converted, the stove would not meet ABYC A-26.5.12 which states "All (propane) appliances shall have flame failure devices on all burners, and pilot lights, that will prevent gas from flowing to the burner if flame is not present."

There is no practical way to convert the stove to propane and bring it up to the current safety standards which have been in place since the 1980s.
[/color]

Does Sure Marine not know what it's talking about? Why reinvent the wheel and relitigate the safety of "converting" what cannot be converted and comply with safety standards?

If someone wanted to carry an inflatable liferaft converted from a lake kayak or some other damn thing "because it floats over there," or after secondhand heresay "my buddy did it," or some other life-safety device we'd be yelling, "That's not safe!!" 

Or if someone wanted to wire up an appliance in a way noncompliant with ABYC because "it worked in my garden shed," or "I saw my buddy do it and he's still alive, y'all'd be screaming to the of your cabin tops, "That's not safe!!"

Is explosive gas that much less of a life safety concern aboard a yacht?

A thought (about safe operation of a vessel)
Main Message Board / Re: Practical Sailor Video on ...
Last post by Stu Jackson - Today at 09:38:19 AM
Quote from: waughoo on Yesterday at 11:03:35 AMI honestly have never had any trouble with TP being a problem.  We just bought a big batch of single ply from the grocery store and it goes down just fine.  I use a No Flex digester in our tank and flush it twice when pumping it out.  I have never yet had an issue.

I agree wholeheartedly, and this ^^^ is what we have been doing for the last 25 years with no issues.
Main Message Board / Re: New fuel tank
Last post by LogoFreak - Today at 09:19:27 AM
Quote from: Noah on Yesterday at 09:49:03 AMLogo-hope you don't have "muscle memory" for the old way, and accidentally fill fuel and water in the wrong tanks. ;-)
lol, that would be bad. I haven't actually used the boat that much and the last couple of season were spent using two plastic outboard tanks with quick connects in the lazarette, so I don't think it's gonna be an issue. The new deck fills are nicely labelled too!
Main Message Board / Re: conversion to propane
Last post by csimmerling - Today at 08:24:55 AM
I bought a used fancy propane range for my house and swapped out the orifices and regulator for our natural gas, no problems for years and was told it was OK by a pro. It's quite simple compared to most boat projects. If I had a propane locker on my mk1 I'd consider switching. CNG is harder to find and my tank is well past its expiry date
Main Message Board / Re: Propane tank
Last post by Noah - Yesterday at 05:40:46 PM
Ron— I don't see how it is possible to fit a 10lb. Propane cylinder in the standard C34 MKI white starboard/plastic box (under helm seat) even with the taller retrofitted blue lid kit. It is made for a (1 gallon) 4lb.-5 lb.  cylinder. Do you have a photo?
Main Message Board / Re: Cooler/refrig lid.
Last post by melp64 - Yesterday at 04:57:08 PM
thank you Noah
Last post by Ron Hill - Yesterday at 02:53:47 PM
Guys : The "rule of thumb" for the distance of the front of the prop to the rear of the strut is 1 shaft diameter (or 1 inch).

Not too sure about 2 inch distance?? and wear on the cutlass bearing from the extra inch and gyroscopic precession??

A thought
Last post by Stu Jackson - Yesterday at 01:26:27 PM
I'm very conflicted about the discussion about the "need" for anything larger than a Beta 25 in a Catalina 34.

I have a 1986 boat with a measly little puny incompetent undersized useless M25 engine, with 21 HP.  In 1987 Catalina started putting in the bigger M25XP which is essentially the same engine with the alternator bracket upgrade and a 3 inch HX and all of 23HP.  Soon after I got my boat I fixed the bracket and put in a 3 inch HX.

From 1998 to 2016 I sailed San Francisco Bay with its currents, in and out the Golden Gate regularly, out in the ocean all they way down to Monterey, and the California Delta.

In 2016, we headed out The Gate and turned right to Canada.  It took 6 weeks and 1,650 nm later landed in our new home at Maple Bay on Vancouver Island.  I have been cruising here since.

At NO time have I ever felt the need for more power, because after 2750 rpm the boat squats and doesn't go much faster.

In 1994 Catalina started putting in 30 HP engines.  I have cruised with many Mark II boats and when we're motoring they do go a tad faster, but just a tad.  Heck, I could've been running at 2750 rpm and they could have been at WOT but there is certainly not enough, in my mind, to warrant a larger engine than a Beta 25 if it is rated for 25 HP.