odor in cabin cushions

Previous topic - Next topic

charlesson

Does anybody know of a quick and easy way to remove subtle fuel odors that seem to be embedded in the fabric of my cabin cushions. Currently the cushions are off the boat and this would be a convenient time to deal with the problem. I just purchased the boat last year and inherited the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Heyman
kenheyman@msn.com
1988 c34
"wholesailor"

Isabel #98

Your odor is my potpourri. I'd leave'em in the garage til the garage smelled like the boat, then I'd be set! Seriously, just let them air out as long as you can before you put them back in. Outside on a clothes line is best, 2 days on the line and they'll be fine. If you just purchased the boat, and they smell like fuel, better check your exhaust riser, they are notorious leakers of exhaust fumes, easily confused with "fuel odor"..:) BD

Bill Jenks

I had what I thought was a faint diesel smell in my cabin cushions on a Catalina 27 but it was an outboard model. I concluded that the only thing it could be was mildew.  I removed the covers and aired out the foam and the covers for a few days in the sun.  I sprayed the covers and the foam with Fabreeze each day for the several days they were outside airing out.  Smell gone.  I sold the boat about 30 days later so I do not know how long it lasted.
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

Mike Smith

Hi Ken -

I'd have them professionally steam cleaned to really solve the problem. Companies like Stanley Steamer will even come to you to do the work. They can also apply ScotchGuard or other finishes to protect them from spills, etc.

cholder

I've removed the covers several times and washed the covers in the bath using a woolite soap and my best grape treading technique.  The gung that comes out of the covers is amazing.  

The hardest part, in my experience, is undoing the zips because the metal zipper corrodes.  I ususally end up replacing most of them with new zippers (not the whole zip) - that just requires a bit of the stiching to be undone and then resewn. The buttons have to be removed to get the covers off but they can be replaced using something to poke the string through the cushions.  You might want to replace the most used cushion foam while everthing's apart.  A good foam shop will custome cut new foam.  Get the best quality even though the price seems outrageous.

Rich

I had the same problem on my c34 which i just sold. sad day... anyway. i took the covers off adn had them dry cleaned and then let the cushions sit in my garage for about 3 weeks and spryed them everytime i went by them with febreeze and lysol. the lysol was to kill the bacteria. it wored well and i did that about 4 months ago and the boat still smeeled good.. as for the outside cushions. i had to ttake them home with me every weekend so not to smell the boat up... i didn't want to buy new ones for the new owner.. haha. god luck. i also would spray some febreeze in the boat once a weekend when i was on it.. just a littl cya the admiral really liked ti not smelling...

Stu Jackson

DIESEL ODORS

It sure seems to me that the best way to keep the cushions clean and smell-free is to eliminate the diesel odor to begin with.  

Where is it coming from?  Where's the leak?  Sloppy fuel filter change outs?  Leaking hoses or connections?

Go to the source.  It's like electrical trouble shooting - connections, connections, connections.

Recent post elsewhere included this:

DIESEL ODORS

Original post:

Submitted by Bill Lowe of Kansas on 04/05 at 05:42AM regarding  General_interest:
Title: Diesel  odor
"Following advice I got from this forum (thanks all), I changed the fuel filter on my Perkins engine yesterday.  Things went OK and the engine started and ran fine without having to bleed fuel lines, injectors etc. but I have a couple of questions. How do you get the diesel smell out of the boat?  Is it just a matter of waiting long enough? Anyone got any suggestions on a good way to get a grip on the filter once it gets slick with fuel the next time I do this.  Since I was trying to remove the old and put on the new filter as rapidly as possible, it was frustrating having the old filter just slip in my hand.  It was so slick the filter strap wrench just slid around."

Replies:

Submitted by A. King  on 04/05 at 06:01AM regarding  General_interest:
Title: Odor Cure
"I have found that the portable Ozone machines are a good way to remove any odors from the cabin."

Submitted by Frank of Auburn/Tacoma on 04/05 at 06:48AM regarding  General_interest:
Title: Source removal
"1. Wash all hard surfaces in you cabin with hot soapy water, Rinse with clear warm water and dry. 2. Clean the soft goods, upholstery, bedding drapes air them in the sun and spray with a little Fabreeze. 3. Ozone although effective can degrade some rubber products and is unhealthy to breath. When you use an ozone generator in a closed space you should air out the cabin for ten minutes or so before you spend any time below. When I worked in the cleaning industry we had ozone chambers we would put items in but they had exhaust fans controlled from the outside and we would run them for 1/2 hour before entering. If you can smell the ozone then it is at a level that may be harmful to humans. 4. Replace the malodor with a more pleasing one, by boiling some potpourri or cinnamon sticks.Your olfactory senses will pick up the strongest scent. "

Submitted by VIEXILE of STT on 04/05 at 06:54AM regarding  General_interest:
Title: Simple Green
"Hinckley uses "Simple Green" and I used it when my diesel tank decided to pinhole and leak fully into my bilge last winter.  The cockpit locker scuppers filled with grit and leaves, water got into the bilge, lifted up the diesel fuel to about 1" over my cabin sole, and everything stunk, including my in-hull aft water tank.  Spooey everywhere.  I cleaned and cleaned and scrubbed, etc.  The simple green killed the smell with a little airing out.  I'd think some in a squirt bottle and wipe down would probably cure your problem.  "

Submitted by Kevin of Toronto on 04/05 at 12:01PM regarding  General_interest:
Title: Try latex gloves
"Bill,    I use disposable latex gloves when working with filters and diesel fuel and oil. It will give a somewhat better grip. Regarding the smell. As the others have suggested, give the bilge a good wash with a strong cleaner and air everything made of fabric that you can remove from the boat. But it will still take a couple of months to get ride of the smell entirely. Kevin "

Submitted by Bill O'Donovan of Williamsburg VA on 04/05 at 01:53PM regarding  General_interest:
Title: 3 suggestions
"They make an oil filter wrench with two claws on it (not the metal strap version) that doubles as a good gripper for getting the canisters off. After adopting the previous sage advice, leave some open boxes of baking soda in discreet places. As opposed to masking the odor, it actually absorbs odor. Unknown gobs of diesel and oil may be trapped in places you can't reach but which still drain into the bilge. Every fall I pour baking soda into those holes and follow with white vinegar to foam up and clean the hidden places. Then follow with boiling water to wash the residue out into the bilge. Amazing things emerge, and can be removed. As a result, my boat smells better than I do. "

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."