Transmission Leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

I might have small problem (or not).  I opened up the engine compartment to begin de-winterizing and noticed about 3 or 4 ounces of transmission fluid collected below the engine.  When I looked at the transmission itself, it appeared that there was a leak from the point where the linkage enters the transmission housing.  The leak is very slow as I had the transmission filled with fluid since November.  I believe the working fluid level is below the transmission linkage entry point, so this may not be an issue at all.  Any thoughts?

On a more positive note, I used a different method of removing the excess transmission fluid.  Bought a turkey baster and attached a 1/4 inch hose to the end using a heat-shrink rubber hose (the ones you use for electrical connections). Then I measured the dipstick to get the correct fluid depth for the fluid and marked that on the 1/4 inch tube.  Then I took a small section of 3/8 inch tube and ran it over the 1/4 inch to mark that line.  That way, when I put the 1/4 inch hose in the dipstick hole, it stopped right at the correct fill depth.  While a little slow, it worked great, and was much less messy and more precise than the electric pump I used in the past.  The only modification to the baster was to tighten the bulb to the baster body with a hose clamp.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

SteveLyle

Steve,

I topped up our transmission fluid level the first fall after we bought our C34, 3 years ago.  And got leakage just like you - out the linkage shaft.  I haven't done anything with it - the last two years I didn't fill the tranny, and I haven't gotten any leakage either in the off season or during use.  I check the level in the spring and once during the season, and keep an eye for leaks.

If you replace your seals, take plenty of pictures and submit it as a Mainsheet tech article - I don't think anyone has covered this yet.

Regards,
Steve

jentine

Steve,
The first question I have is why in the H____ would you overfill the transmission.  I have never heard of such a thing.  You have placed a load on the seals that are normally dry except for occasional splash.  A seal designed to deflect splash is not necessarily as tight as one designed to repel immersion.  In light of this, I would do nothing until a leak is confirmed when the oil is at its "normal" level.  Should you have a leak then, that is the time to take some action.
Jim Kane

Steve S.

Jim, I think I might not have been clear.  I believe it is standard operating procedure to fill the transmission when winterizing to prevent condensation that can cause rust.   The  manual even recommends it. As my boat is on the hard from Nov-Apr, and the weather here on the Chesapeake is quite variable, the risk of condenstaion is high.

At commissioning, I drain (more accurately, pump) the excess out and set the fluid at the correct level. I do not run the engine with it over-filled, so I don't think  it causes any undue pressure on the seals.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay