sail choices

Previous topic - Next topic

isabel98

Since we have a new main and 100% jib on the furler, I will start the season with this setup. My boat came with a large multicolored drifter. My question is : can the drifter be used without being on the furler track? It seems like i might be able to use it like an asymetrical by just attaching the clew to the bow and raising it with the spinnaker halyard. I have envisioned using this sail downwind or reaching in light/mod air. Obvously I could lower the jib and just run the drifter up the furler, and although a little more work, not a big deal. I guess it would depend on the length of the leg. After describing this scenario, I guess it seems just a bit lazy not taking the jib down and raising the drifter on the track. I'm Just thinking about ways to incorporate the drifter to compensate for no 155 Genny. The drifter is made of very light material, what would be its wind velocity limit? (had a 150 on my last boat) I've never sailed with just the 100% jib, I'm counting on it being an upwind advantage, But I know I'll need something else off the wind to keep up. I will of course get the Genny, but not for at least 2 months  ($$$$$$). Thanks for your thoughts. BD