Hydronic diesel boiler install

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

Now that I had the exhaust location made, I could start routing the 22mm exhaust back to where the heater would be installed.  There are small aluminum standoffs installed under the cockpit coaming which it gets lagged to.  The factory partition for the port cockpit locker over the fuel tank is maybe 1/4" ply.  Unfortunately it was not strong enough for mounting things.  I used it as a pattern and then fit it in place and installed the heater on its bracket, the muffler for the exhaust and the small exhaust thimble required to pass exhaust through combustible bulkheads.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

After that was sorted I removed the bulkhead with the heater mounted on it and started to layout the other components on the board.  The fact that this bulkhead is removeable makes this SO much easier.  Had this all had to be layed out doing boat yoga inside this lazzerette, it would not have been this nice! The expansion tank (large black cylinder) will be mounted on the "instrument cluster" side of the bulkhead up high near the top of the coaming.  There will be a stainless deck plate in the coaming to allow access to the cap.  I am still sorting out exactly where everything will go, but it is starting to come together.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mark_53

Quote from: waughoo on May 07, 2022, 10:06:52 PM
Now that I had the exhaust location made, I could start routing the 22mm exhaust back to where the heater would be installed.  There are small aluminum standoffs installed under the cockpit coaming which it gets lagged to.  The factory partition for the port cockpit locker over the fuel tank is maybe 1/4" ply.  Unfortunately it was not strong enough for mounting things.  I used it as a pattern and then fit it in place and installed the heater on its bracket, the muffler for the exhaust and the small exhaust thimble required to pass exhaust through combustible bulkheads.

Does your exhaust have a drain at the low point?  I don't see one.  You will have condensation issues without one.

waughoo

I asked about installing one and Sure Marine who are the go to place to get these units from said I didn't need one.  It could be added later but aparently they felt the design and layout didnt need it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mark_53

Quote from: waughoo on May 08, 2022, 12:30:33 PM
I asked about installing one and Sure Marine who are the go to place to get these units

Sure Marine installed my old heater 30 some years ago!  The have the experience.

waughoo

Indeed they do!  I am very happy that they are in my backyard and I can stop in regularly for advice and additional parts .  The exhaust has a rather thick blanket which will likely help with any condensation issues.  It seems to me that the amount of heat would simply evaporate any condensation, but I am no expert.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mark_53

The original heater they installed (same location as yours) had the exhaust wrapped in thick fiberglass blanket ( still have it). It ran downhill to the transom so condensation ran out. It had no muffler and only a single bend upwards to the downhill side.

waughoo

That is a nice way to have it.  If I had gone with the airtop, I would have mounted it high in the coaming and done exactly as you say with an all downhill exhaust run. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Mark,

Out of curiousity I asked Sure why they didnt sell me an exhaust condensate drain.  Eric said that with my exhaust length (5.5') and the fact it is wrapped in the fiberglass blanket, none is needed.  The only condensation will exist when the boiler is first fired up and the hot exhaust will resolve that in short order.  They start to come into play when there is uphill climb on a very long exhaust... 10' or longer.  Good to know the answer.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mark_53

Quote from: waughoo on May 09, 2022, 07:22:16 PM
Mark,

Out of curiousity I asked Sure why they didnt sell me an exhaust condensate drain.  Eric said that with my exhaust length (5.5') and the fact it is wrapped in the fiberglass blanket, none is needed.
That makes sense. The only thing is the muffler has more volume that straight pipe.  Also, what is the total length of the exhaust run?  I think there are limitations on 25mm pipe.

waughoo

The exhaust run is 66" and is well below the 22mm run limit.  The muffler is set on a vertical face so the insulation doesnt absorb any condensation.  The one place I might want to be careful will be when I use it in summer loop mode for heating just the water tank.  As long as it runs for about 3 minutes I feel any condensation would be dried out.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mark_53

Can you fire it up in your garage first?

waughoo

Prob not in the garage, but I do hope to fire it up after enough parts are installed to drop the supply and return into a bucket and see if it all does what it is supposed to.   Sure marine did do a test fire of the unit before I bought it: it has .2 hours on the clock.  Not sure when that will be yet, but I am making progress.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Looks great Alex! Hot water on anchor without running the engine, great!
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Thanks Logo.  It is a LONG process, but fun to see it come together.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte