Chainplates

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Good Morning

I recently bought a 2001 mkii and I am beginning to upgrade her.
I assumed the chainplates were original but when taking a closer look/measurement the port plates are about a 1/4" taller than the starboard.
Has anyone else seen this with original plates?

Thanks - John
2001 MKII
Universal M-35
Barnegat Bay NJ

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI assumed the chainplates were original but when taking a closer look/measurement the port plates are about a 1/4" taller than the starboard.
Has anyone else seen this with original plates?

Welcome John,
I've never measured that on Shamrock.  Wouldn't surprise me, a 1/4 inch isn't much with all the components and assembly involved.  Much of it could be deck thickness.
May I suggest that you add to your signature some your boat particulars, year, model, hull number, engine model, other particular details like in-mast furling and home port.  Helps a lot with getting the right response.
You have fine tastes in sailboats.  I very much like my 2001 34MKll. It serves me well.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

John,
Not related to your question in any way.  In a recent post "when ignorance isn't bliss" about the camshaft driven raw water pump the picture shows a bushing around the camshaft end.  This was a Westerbeak bulletin and part, a prevention for broken camshafts.  My C34MKll is also a 2001 that was about the time of the fix, the PO did it but wasn't documented.  I suggest you make certain that this was done.  See
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6017.0.html
Good idea is to look at all the "Do this or else" topics.  Most don't apply to MKll's, but it's good to check.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

John

I've never measured that on Shamrock.  Wouldn't surprise me, a 1/4 inch isn't much with all the components and assembly involved.  Much of it could be deck thickness.
May I suggest that you add to your signature some your boat particulars, year, model, hull number, engine model, other particular details like in-mast furling and home port.  Helps a lot with getting the right response.
You have fine tastes in sailboats.  I very much like my 2001 34MKll. It serves me well.
Jim  QUOTE

Thanks for the response. I have added 2 photos to show the difference. I understand what you mean by deck thickness but it does seem like different plates.
I will also look into upgrade info you mention.
-John
2001 MKII
Universal M-35
Barnegat Bay NJ

John

Thanks for the response. I have added 2 photos to show the difference. I understand what you mean by deck thickness but it does seem like different plates.
I will also look into upgrade info you mention.  Quote

Attached is other side
2001 MKII
Universal M-35
Barnegat Bay NJ

Noah

Try again. Both pics are the same?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

John : Take your main halyard and tie something heavy on it and let it swing free about an inch above the deck.  Then you can tell if our mast is in column and how much rake you have.  You can also see if it leans to one side or the other!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

John

Attached are 2 photos-Hopefully 1 of each side.The only thing older than my computer is the operator.

I appreciate the feedback-

Definitely seems like 2 different plates. All the plates on the starboard side are consistently shorter than the port side.

Thanks again - John

2001 MKII
Universal M-35
Barnegat Bay NJ

Stu Jackson

Have you checked down below?  Do you know how they work?  They are attached by long shafts with nuts inside the seat back cushion compartment.  It could very well be that the PO or someone didn't adjust them properly from below.  All the "plates" ARE the same.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

John : If the mast is in column (straight) and NOT leading to one side or the other - does that 1/4" make any difference ?????
IF the bottom flat portion of the chainplate is snug up to the bottom of the underside of the deck!!!    :?   

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 22, 2023, 02:06:28 PM
John : If the mast is in column (straight) and NOT leading to one side or the other - does that 1/4" make any difference ????????   :?

A thought

Well, yes, Ron, it very well should.  IIRC, inb the inside, the "top" of the chainplate should be nestled against the "bottom" of the deck above.  If the exterior end of the plate is lower than it should be, it means the tops of the fitting that goes through the deck are not up to the deck below.

This is a picture of the chainplate removed still at the end of the shaft below.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

John

Thanks for the feedback.

The plates are firmly connected to the deck so the only 2 answers I can see are the plates are different or as was mentioned above the deck varies.
I guess it doesn't matter but because I am preparing to replace the standing rigging I was curious.
So my last questions (for this morning).  For those of you that have replaced your chainplates

1) Where did you source them?
2) Did you also replace the tie rods?

2001 MKII
Universal M-35
Barnegat Bay NJ

Ron Hill

John : I'd give Gaurhauer a Call !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

As said above, call Garhauer.  The rods should be able to be reused and I would be very surprised if they had any issues.  Be careful to keep all those parts in the right spot or mark them so they go back where they came from.  As I understand it, they are made to the boat and the spot they occupy.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Why do you think you need to replace either of the chainplates or the tie rods?