Cutless bearing

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gardner

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the cutless bearing used in 1988?  I know I have to replace mine, and I would like to buy it before my new owner discount expires at BoatUS.  (I think if I get the wrong size, I will be able to exchange it - the card expires in one week, and the boat will be out in three, but it would be better to be right the first time.)

Many thanks.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

John,

I still have the old strut bearing from my '86 in the garage...Unfortunetly I'm at work right now, but could mearsure it tonight and get back to you tomorrow...

The shaft size is 1", and I believe the length is around 4", can't remember the OD of the bearing though...

For reference, Catalina gets $60.00 for them; replaced mine last spring...

Tom

malgase

John,

The cutless bearing I replaced was 1.25 OD, and I believe the one in the Boat/US catalog was perhaps 3.5 inches long versus 4.0. I aligned the bearing with the aft end of the strut to get the right distance between the supported part of the shaft and the propeller (ideally no more than one shaft diameter)

I have an '86 SR.

Hope this helps

Michael

John Gardner

Tom, Michael,
Thank you for your offer - sorry I was a bit slow getting back.  If you have the chance to measure the bearing I would appreciate it.  From memory of the survey, I think it is as Michael says, 4 inches long.  I notice that West Marine seems to market the same series of bearings as BoatUS, and they include a 4 inch version, and to be fair, BoatUS says they have a wider range available.
Regards, John

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

John,

My old strut bearing length is 3.9375" (3 15/16")...It wouldn't surprise me to fine that a new 4" bearing is actually a little short; they probably don't measure them precisely on the length since it really doesn't pose any problems with the strut...

The OD is 1.250" (1 1/4")...

The ID is for a 1" shaft...

Just for reference, how about telling us what West and/or Boat US charges for the bearing...As I said before, Catalina gets around $60 for them...

Hope this helps,
Tom

John Gardner

West Marine catalogue shows the "Blackfish" bearing at $60.  It is not in the BoatUS catalogue, although they sell the same range.  It was ordered for me today from stock in the New Jersey BoatUS depot for $63, which with my discount card was reduced to $38.  

Sad thing that my card expires tomorrow!  However, I've had a feeding frenzy, and it will perhaps allow my other card, the credit thing, to have a bit of a rest.

Jkar

Are there any set screws holding the cutless in? I am going to replace mine this weekend, but before I go digging holes in the epoxy coat on the strut, I wanted to know if there were screws in there buried?  Thanks, Joel

Roc

Mine has two set screws, both on the same side.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jkar

Could you tell me approx. location?  I will start with the Dremmel there.

Bob Kuba

Apparently, some years have set screws on the strut, and some do not. This is hull # 1291, 1994 vintage.
Bob K.

Steve S.

Although mine is a 1988, I believe I have two set screws on the cutlass bearing.  They are on the starboard side, each about 1 1/2 inches from the ends. Could have been put on by a PO replacing the bearing.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

John Gardner

Just to add to the diversity - mine had no set screws; just a press fit.  1988 boat

skip

Diversity is the word.....my early 89 has set screws on starboard side.