Reaching fuel sender

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Where is the correct place to cut a hole to reach the fuel sender in the port side locker and how large should it be?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Craig Illman

You don't have an access port already to reach the fuel shutoff valve?

Les Luzar

Mine is in the cockpit port locker forward end. You have to crawl into the locker to remove the cap and peer down. Wouldn't it be easier to remove the port panel in the aft cabin which exposes the entire fuel tank and in my boat (1987) there is plenty of room above the tank to access the top of the fuel tank.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Volk

Cliff,

Here is a picture of my fuel cut-off and sender access.  Picture is taken from down below with the aft port panel removed and above you can see the access plate located in the forward end of the port cockpit locker.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ron Hill

Cliff : As mentioned, remove the port side panel in the aft cabin and there it is!! 

The cutout above in the port side lazerette, is there so you can unscrew the cap and reach the fuel cutoff that attaches to the fuel sending unit. 
Ron, Apache #788

TonyP

Could an access panel be cut into the aft cabin port panel for easier and quicker access or even in the head aft wall panel?
good luck
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ted Pounds

Tony,
I did just that (cut an access in the aft cabin side panel).  It made access MUCH easier.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

crieders

I can reach in and turn the fuel flow off but I cannot see or reach the sender. Perhaps, I have to crawl into the locker altho removing the panal below might be easier.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : Take out about a half dozen screws and that aft port panel comes out - VERY easily !!  
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Cliff, IIRC we had posted more pictures earlier:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6815.0.html

Do these answer your questions?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."