Dahl / Racor Fuel Filter?

Previous topic - Next topic

fbien

I'm getting ready to re-plumb the fuel filter/pump setup on hull 220, as discussed on this board (tank, filter, pump).  I currently have a Dahl filter -- any reason to change to a Racor when I'm working on it?    

If so, what Racor model is appropriate?

thx

Ted Pounds

Ron,

Where did you get the throw-away filter?  Is it one of that that just splices into the fuel line?  Sounds like a good idea.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

John Gardner

While the subject is raised, can someone tell me why there should be a filter before the pump?  Is it to protect the pump?  It sounds as though it would be hard to bleed the first filter, because the pump would just suck air.

My boat must have been replumbed.  It is tank to 10 micron Racor to electric pump to engine mounted 2 micron to injection pump.  Seems fine though I have little personal experience of the boat as yet.  I think Hank Recla told me he had taken the engine mounted filter and its bracket off the engine and mounted it in the cupboard with the pump and Racor.  That sounds neat too
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

SteveLyle

Never had any problems.  Don't see any reason to change, although it would be interesting to know why the factory did - is Dahl still in business, do they still make this filter?

John - the filter should be before the pump because there is a screen mesh filter in the pump that has been known to get clogged up and shut off fuel flow if/when it's first in line.  The Racor/Dahl filter before the pump (which is what Catalina and Racor both recommend) enables the much higher capacity primary filter to protect the pump.

From my perspective, fuel bleed problems are an 'old wives tale'.  After replumbing my system and replacing the engine-mounted filter, it seemed to take seconds, not minutes or hours, for the pump to load the lines up with fuel such that it was coming out the various bleed vents.  I remember someone noting that you should pre-load the engine cartridge filter (on an M-25) with fuel before spinning it on.  That would be messy and pointless from my experience.

Roc

My Racor filter has a pump that unscrews on top.  After I change the filer, I pump the piston to fill the cartridge with fuel.  Once I see the bowl full, I then start the engine as usual.  It does take a few extra seconds to turn over.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mark Elkin

Does anyone know where to get Dahl filters?  I just used up the last spare that came with my boat.  I've been asking around the chandleries here in San Diego and none (so far) carries Dahl.  Mail order is okay.

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
Mark S Elkin

ajvh

I bought 6 dahl 61-W 10 micron filters from www.adiesel.com for $6.26 ea

I also got oil & fuel filters for the m25xp from www.kubotaparts.com

stamch

West Marine carries a Racor replacement for the Dahl 101 filter.  It is a 2 micron filter so, with it, you really don't need the 2 micron secondary filter.  Unless ofcourse you forget and replace it with a 10 micron filter on the next change.

Cap'n Stan
C34 #114 "Pisces"
Back Creek, Annapolis, Md

Cap'n Stan