Strut Electrolysis

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Rose

At haul-out I experienced some electrolysis on my strut.  Since the strut isn't bonded, last spring I used the Pettit underwater metal primer kit, hoping this might help.  Has anyone giving any thought of drilling the strut and installing a rudder/trim tab type zinc anode on the strut?

Norris Johnson

I did that 6/01. Pulled the boat for a quick haul 9/02. The anode was in good shape as were the anodes on the shaft and no corrosion anywhere.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Norris Johnson

Sorry Jim, I meant to say, I did drill the strut and install an anode. Looked good on the quick haul a year and 3 mos. later.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

jentine

The strut is electrically isolated from the fields in and around the boat.  I would be more concerned with the source of the electorlysis.  I have had my boat in the water for 10 years with haul-out for a two week perior every 3 years and have no electrolysis on the strut.
If you analyze the strut, it is bolted to fiberglass on one end and is isolated by the cutlas bearing from the shaft.  The only source of electricity can be the water.  If that is so, that is the problem that must be corrected.  Many marinas have very poor grounding systems.  It is not easy to maintain a perfect system in a salt environment.  Ask with your marina operator to check his system for stray currents.
Jim Kane

Norris Johnson

Yeah Jentine, you are absolutely correct. I'm in one of those Marinas. Some folks they claim they can feel the electricity.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas