Pettit Zinc Barnacle Preventer-Does it work?

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

I am in the processing of repainting the bottom, never had much luck in keeping barnacles off the prop with various products/procedures I have used in the past.
Pettit has a relatively new product, it comes in a spray can and is basically pure zinc (Pettit Zinc Barnacle Preventer). Has anyone used it in Florida's warm gulf waters, if so what has been the experience? :?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

lazybone

I've tried almost every concoction man has dreamed up and my biggest problem is always adhesion.  Nothing really sticks.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Bernd : I've used the Pettit Zn spray for the past 2 years on the shaft and the prop. 
I can say it sticks well on the stainless shaft and the bronze prop.  However, the barnacles really liked to grow on the Zn !!!  ( I do have an electrically isolate shaft & prop) 
So, the next year I put bottom paint on top of the Zn, but I put it on (purposely) before the Zn had completely dried.  I could see that the bottom paint was dissolving the Zn . 
The bottom paint helped, so this year I'll use the Zn spray, let completely dry and then use some hard bottom paint on top of the Zn.

It's an annual battle, but Like I said the Zn sticks unlike epoxy which tends to flake off.  end of report
Ron, Apache #788

karista

Ron!
Thanks for the feedback, if the zinc spray did not prevent barnacle buildup in your low fouling waters, it surely will not work here in our high fouling Florida Gulf waters. It appears you will be using it as a primer because it sticks well, but can you apply bottom paint onto pure Zinc?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

lazybone

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 20, 2011, 03:26:08 PM
Bernd : I've used the Pettit Zn spray for the past 2 years on the shaft and the prop. 
I can say it sticks well on the stainless shaft and the bronze prop.  However, the barnacles really liked to grow on the Zn !!!  ( I do have an electrically isolate shaft & prop) 
So, the next year I put bottom paint on top of the Zn, but I put it on (purposely) before the Zn had completely dried.  I could see that the bottom paint was dissolving the Zn . 
The bottom paint helped, so this year I'll use the Zn spray, let completely dry and then use some hard bottom paint on top of the Zn.

It's an annual battle, but Like I said the Zn sticks unlike epoxy which tends to flake off.  end of report

Agreed, Zinc seems to be good for slime and grass but I think barnacles like the stuff.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Bernd : Yes, I plan on using the Zn as a "primer" and then use the anti fouling paint (NOT spray can outdrive) on top of the Zn .  Just hope the hard anti fouling paint will stick to the Zn. 
Will let you know next year!! 
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

I just got my boat last May.  The PO always used the Pettit paint and spoke highly of it.
When I pulled the boat in October, I was pleasently surprised at the lack of growth on the running gear.  Yes, I had some barnicles but I expected to see a much heavier growth.
The yard owner where I keep the boat in the winter, speaks very highly of it as well.
If you are in a heavy growth area, your best bet is Prop Speed.  Expensive and labor intensive, but probably the best running gear anti-growth you can buy.