Lewmar Portlight lens replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Morris

I bought my 34 in California and shipped it up to BC.  Because of the sunlight in California the lenses in the Lewmar portlights showed cracks.   I don't think this is structurally significant but I'm going to change the lenses for cosmetic purposes.  I have purchased two replacement lenses and to install them I will need to remove the lens from the window which should not be a problem, then remove the two locking tabs at the bottom.
The lens comes pre-drilled to accept the tabs and screws.  The problem is I can't figure out how to remove the bottom tabs.  There is no screw head or allen key showing.  There's a round cover on the outside and the moveable tab on the inside.  Does anyone know how to get these tabs off without completely destroying them or the lens?
Bob Morris, Elegante

waterdog

The dogs are held on with a screw.  You access it by popping off the a little button cover.   A very fine screwdriver or pen knife will pry it open with no damage. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

MikeinLA

Bob, I did a nice write-up with photos on changing the Lewmar portlight lenses. You can find it in the November 2010 Mainsheet in the Cat 36 Tech section. Waterdog is correct about the button. A narrow knife blade will let you ease it off.

Mike

Ron Hill

Bob : Mike posted what I was going to say.

You might consider joining the C34IA and as part of your joining you'll get a subscription to the Mainsheet (Catalina Owners magazine) . The Mainsheet has a tech section were owner discuss the problems/solutions they have had with their boats. 
All Catalina's from the 22' to the 47' have discussion sections that are very interesting. 
If interested get ahold of Stu Jackson - see our C34 Home page. 

Hope it's not premature, but Welcome Aboard!!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Bob Morris

Thank you all for taking the time to help.  Look forward to joining C34....signing up now.

Bob

scotty

Scotty