Wood cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

Disclaimer: Not something specifically on the boat, but I know there are a bunch of woodworking experts lurking here.

My twenty-five year old condo is filled with color stained solid oak trim, doors and cabinets. It doesn't have a hard, impermeable finish. Some of the doors and cabinet fronts have dirt stained areas. What would be the best way to clean those dirty areas up without sanding that will remove the color stain?

After I get the doors cleaned up, I plan on putting better protection using something like Daly's Satin Profin that has some polyurethane with tung oil base.

Craig

Phil Spicer

Craig: You could try Murphy Oil Soap. Almost any product will tell you not to use on unprotected wood but it sounds like you don't have much choice. Try on a small area that is out of the way & see how it works. You don't want to raise the grain. Wash & dry.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Craig : You can try some alcohol in a small area and see if it doesn't take off some of the "people oil/dirt".  See if the soft rag is getting off just dirt and not also taking out the stain.

Don't know how dirty these are, but Murphy's will also do some cleaning up.
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Try the Murphy's.  If you need something stronger, try TSP.  As always, try to find a spot out of sight to give it a test first.
Scotty

BillG

As a woodworker, don't use Murphy's to clean wood, if you have any thoughts of refinishing it in the future. Murphy's will leave an oil
residue that will make it impossible to finish with polyurethane unless the wood is completely stripped to bare wood.
On a boat, this would pertain to cabin soles also.
Alcohol is OK.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

paule

beimg  a retired shop teacher we would use alchol
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

pablosgirl

I have used an "magic eraser" by Mr Clean on door jams and base boards as well as painted drywall with good results.  Just try a small inconspicuous are first.  This was to remove the dirt and oil residue left from the dog ( 105 lb. Great Pyrenees) laying against those surfaces.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Craig Illman

Thanks! Lots of good ideas to try. I knew this place was populated with X-perts or at least people that weren't afraid to share free advice.  :D

Peggie Hall

Quote from: Craig Illman on January 21, 2011, 10:12:39 AM
My twenty-five year old condo is filled with color stained solid oak trim, doors and cabinets. It doesn't have a hard, impermeable finish. Some of the doors and cabinet fronts have dirt stained areas. What would be the

My advice: clean, then prime and paint all the wood a shade of white.  Although that would be sacrilege on a boat, stained oak woodwork and cabinets are so out of date in houses that it reduces the value in an already depressed home market. White woodwork and cabinets will never become dated.  I learned this when it became necessary to sell my parents' house...built in 1974, meticulously maintained, but never updated. I had a lot of offers, but nowhere near the appraised value...then I got a decorator and real estate expert involved...took their advice and spent a little money on paint and new flooring...and sold the house for the appraised value.

Then I used some of that money to do the same in my own house.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Craig Illman

Peggie - Thanks, I expect your advice is spot-on, but I just bought this condo and I just can't do that to wood. Who knows, it might come back into fashion before asteriods destroy the planet. I do want to ditch the pure white corian coutertops that show every speck of dirt and stain though. All in due course.

Craig

Peggie Hall

Had a feeling that was gonna be your reactieon. Fwiw, evrything that's ever been painted, is either drywall or wood...so "can't do that to wood" isn't a valid argument. However, it's your house and you just bought it, so resale isn't at the top your list right now.

When researching counter tops (mine are black , btw), check out quartz...aka "engineered stone."  Less expensive than granite, but has advantages over granite.

Btw...if you're even the least bit curious about the difference white woodwork can make, email me...I'll send you a couple of before and after pics that prove what my decorator told me:  It's just paint...it's not a kidney!"
"
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/