Fiberglass Rudder Bearing Tube

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

I am in the middle of doing some pretty major fiber glass repair work on the area around the rudder bearing tube. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can get a replacement tube. The PO had a less than professional job done after what now looks like a grounding that stressed the tube where it joins the hull. Had some delamination due to water getting in. Dropped the rudder. That was fun. Any suggestions on where to order a new tube would be most appreciated.   

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I would call the Catalina factory parts dept at 818-884-7700
They are an amazing source for parts on all their boats
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Shan : I'd contact Catalina and ask them your question.
I believe that when the boat was manufactured, the factory connected a piece of PVC tubing from the hull to the deck.  After the deck was fastened to the hull and the tube plumb, all they did was to cut out a section in the middle for the steering quadrant. 
I've already used mylar "shims" to take care of the "side play" on the bottom and top halves of that tube.
A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

SPLETS

Where would you buy the mylar film used to shim the rudder tube???

Ron Hill

Splets : Look in your "Yellow Pages" for any Engineering firm and ask them if they have some or any firm that does Engineering drawings.  Hope this helps. 
Ron, Apache #788

2ndwish

We bought ours at Staples (8-1/2x11 transparency film). Singles are a buck each.
T

lazybone

I still have a large drawer full of the stuff in 24" x 36" sheets from my retired Architecture office.  First person who sends me their address will have it on the condition that they post their address and become the official free C34 distributer.

I know nothing of other plastic sheets goods but I do know that acetates which are often clear are not as durable as mylar and do not seem to be naturally "slippery".  Maybe there's a sailing chemist about here who can elaborate and tell us the difference.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

2ndwish

I won't swear by it (and I'm not a chemist), but I'm pretty sure most laser printer film is PET (it is according to 3M), most likely BoPET (Mylar). It needs to be for the high heat of the machine. They are probably coated with something.  It is quite strong. I use it at work for vacuum windows 4" in diameter.

Roc

In manufacturing plants, on the filling lines, mechanics use 'teflon tape' on the guide rails to help the products slip easier as they move down the conveyor.  This stuff has adhesive on one side.  I would think this stuff would work.  Also, this stuff might be a fix for the squeaky sliding hatch issue I've heard.  My hatch is still ok, but if I had to replace the OEM tape Catalina used, I would try this tape.  I did a quick search and this seems to be the type of tape.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=ptfe+tape&op=search&Ntt=ptfe+tape&N=0&sst=subset

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : We are talking thin Mylar film like .005 and .007 thickness. 
Roc's Teflon tape will probably work OK on a MK II hatch.  However, I don't think there is anyone that wants to take apart a MK I hatch overhead to apply that tape.

The mylar drafting film 5 or 7 mill can be cut in strips and vertically slid in place.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SPLETS

Thanks all!!  I used transparency film and it worked like a charm.  I think using the different thicknesses of mylar film would be better as some spots needed a little more and some a little less.  In the spots that needed more, I just added another shim.