Rudder Damage....Any Help?

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

1988 C34 Tall Rig
Sparing you guys all the agonizing details......my rudder ran aground in reverse and I heard a "pop". My nightmare was confirmed this am as I went swimming and found a crack around the circumference of the rudder probably at the point where the rudder shaft terminates......about 2 feet down from top. Though it is still pretty rigid, there is some flex at the crack when I pull and push back and forth on the bottom of the rudder. So....first question....is there a vertical rudder shaft log allowing the rudder to drop while boat is floating (diagram appears to show this)? Second......given the fact that it is taking on water as we "speak", what are the chances of removing all water? Third......Assuming the water can be removed, a repair would include grinding around crack and epoxy/fairing.....I have some experience here. Advice appreciated.

Stephen Butler

Need some more data about your rudder.  Is it the original or a new elliptical version.  The old had a mild steel interior frame while the new has a ss frame.  If the older version, the frame may already be corroded and may need replacement.  Having said this, yes, you can get the water out (over time with drilling drain holes) and yes, based on what seen in boat yards, the rudder can be re-glassed/faired/etc. back to it original state...but again, check to see if the draining water has rust in it.  Also, check out Ron Hill's rudder modification in the projects.  Best of luck and hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Terry Forshier

If you are taking on water in the boat I would think you need to immediatly make arrangements to get the boat hauled and professional repairs done. I am sure you will have to haul to repair the cracked hull and leakage and at that time repair the rudder. Cracks do not get better and leaks do not plug themselves up. It will just get worse and worse and may sink you. Don't wait and see. Terry

gwp

Whoa!   boat not taking on water, I was referring to the rudder taking on water. My main question is.....can the rudder drop out of the boat while it is floating? Thanks much!

Stu Jackson

Quote from: gwp on September 05, 2010, 07:30:39 AM
My main question is.....can the rudder drop out of the boat while it is floating? Thanks much!

Yes, it can, but the trick is catching it before it swims away (and/or down)! :D :D :D

There was a post years ago about someone doing this.  You'll have to do your own homework with a search on rudder or dropping rudder to find it.  The larger trick is getting it back in.

If it was my boat, I'd either haul and repair or try to drop it in the water and then pull the boat to replace it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Wow! I was thinking that you might be able to do this if you could get your boat to a shallow area to work on it, but I would also like to talk to the local yard to get their ideas and/or talk to someone who has done this before. Just a few ideas.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

I did a search on "drop rudder" - lots of ideas, although all not applicable.  Try it, 'cuz it shows parts of the threads, so you can decide if it's appropriate for your reading.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Having replaced a rudder, I can tell you that it while it is not heavy, it is a bit "clumbersome" to handle/maneuver. So, depending on the amount of water in the rudder, it may or may not float.  Therefore, suggest you haul the boat.  Dropping the rudder is not a big job if the boat is held up in a travel lift, literally for 10 minutes.  Hope this helps. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

GWP : You need to have the boat hauled and get it on dry land.  The water could be from a stressed rudder packing gland or you just may have cracked the hull area around the packing gland.  The dead give away is that the packing gland is above the water line while the boat is still.

I'd just talk to your insurance co. and I'll guess that they'll cover the cost for a new rudder.  The only question is, does the Catalina factory want the old rudder column (if it isn't bent) to use in the layup of a new rudder? 
Give them a call in Ca or Fl ??  Hope this helps.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

rappareems

I replaced my 1986 rudder with the new elyptical version.  I still have the original which is in good shape I would be happy to send it to you for the price of shipping... my Club would like it out of the barn ...

If you are interested email me at: rappareems@aol.com

Mark Cassidy
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

lazybone

WOW
Can't beat that.
Nice people here.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

GWP : To answer your question the answer is : Yes, you can remove the rudder while the boat's still in the water.  Don't think you want to do that as it's 100 times harder to do as compared doing it on dry land!!!

If you have a wing keel you definitely want to get a new elliptical rudder.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Go with Ron's suggestion and either get an elliptical rudder or modify your original to the elliptical shape....makes a BIG difference in handling in stronger wind conditions.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

gwp

Thanks for all the posts guys.....Sorry for the delay in responding......been away a while. I removed the rudder while boat afloat as it is in the perfect depth to accomplish this. I was surprised that a very very small amount of water dribbled from where the post emerges from the rudder. I drilled a couple holes in the bottom and top to allow water to escape and.....nothing. The rudder is filled with foam which is very hard and non-absorptive. I really don't see how water intrusion could occur??? I have ground the crack out and filled and faired with west systems epoxy. The rudder is good and straight, but the rudder post is not perfectly in alignment with the rudder.....but extremely close. This forum is a Godsend as well as each of you. MARK......I'LL BE IN TOUCH. Thanks!

gwp

For closure to this thread...I chose to take mark up on his offer. Not only would he not allow payment, he loaded that monster and hauled it to UPS. Its now installed and all done while afloat with surprising ease. I am so fortunate to have this site full of such helpful and generous sailors as a resource. THANKS!