Door locks, rocker switches, halyard sheet bags

Previous topic - Next topic

tomrussell

Hi All,

I bought my '34 in March and have enjoyed her immensely.  She is a 2001 MKII, hull 1544, very good shape.  A nice couple bought the boat new, lived on the water in Tampa Bay, and rarely used it.  The diesel had 240 hours on it.  My wife, kids and I are sailing every weekend now.  My wife and I took a nice trip down to Venice via the ICW this past weekend.  Very happy.

By any chance, can anyone help me locate the following parts:?

Cabinet door latch/lock in the galley
Recessed light rocker switch
Halyard bags for lines in cockpit

I've not been successful in getting a response back from Catalina.  If you are aware of any other channels, all feedback will be appreciated.  Looking forward to learning as I go and helping out where I can.

Tom

Lance Jones

Welcome to the club Tom!

Most of those items are easily obtained from West Marine or other marine stores.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

The factory is just up the road from you in Largo.  They should have the latch and switch.  I think the halyard bags are aftermarket.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Exodus

Also Catalinadirect.com may have some of the items that you are looking for.  If it is not on their website call and they may be able to find it.

Stu Jackson

Sheet or halyard (line) bags:  see the pictures of what we do to avoid these bags.  Some like 'em, I find them intrusive.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,860.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Another thought along Stu's line of thinking.  Many folks like to use the cabin as a back rest using the cockpit seat as a lounger.  Having the bag or lines hanging there gets pretty uncomfortable.  It may not look as nautical, but keeping the unused lines coiled up under the dodger keeps them out of the way. When sailing, my traveller lines are inboard, so they drape down the sides of the companionway and rest on the engine compartment.  The mainsheet is usually neatly piled on the cockpit floor.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Tom : I do the same as Ken with the haylard lines bundled and stuffed in the inside corners of the dodger.  It's worked for us for 22 years.
The rocker switches are standard switches at West Marine or Seaward(who made the panel).
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Joe Kern

I never had the bags until this boat but I love them.  On each side of my cabintop of my MKII under the dodger I have 5 lines leading aft.  Having them stuffed in the bags makes for a neater seating and cockpit area and the bags are actually soft enough to rest on quite comfortably.  As a wise sailor I know has been known to say...."your choice, your boat" but I like mine.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

John Sheehan

Tom,

The latches on our 2003 have been very weak and I have replaced at least 5 of them so far.  Here is where I have got the replacements:
www.southco.com/product/partlist.aspx?cid=7472
United States & Canada
Tel: (1) 610 459 4000 
# MP-01-103-515

You might check and see if your 2001 uses the same ones.

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jack Hutteball

Tom,
I ordered the latches for out 2001 Mk ll #1555 from Austin Hardware, Tel # 800-527-5640.  They also have a website so you can look up the numbers for the ones you need.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

tomrussell

This is very good feedback.  I really appreciate it, everyone.  If you don't mind, I will likely have other questions, soon.

Tom