Sheet Bags (line bags) w/ Flix of sheetstoppers

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

My boat didn't come with sheet bags in the cockpit against the bulkhead.  With 4 or 5 sets of lines on each side, I think I need them.  Does anybody have any recommendation on size/attachment/vendor for these?  I see BoatUS only carries mesh bags in two sizes.  Is there a better option I might be missing?

C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Stu Jackson

We thought about and rejected the idea of sheet bags.  The PO had them and we've never used them.

We simply coil the cockpit lines up when not in use.  When in use, they're handy and necessary, or one just coils them up in a corner.  The mainsheet stays on the cockpit floor.

We have: 2 traveler lines (long because they're for the newer six part Garhauer traveler), four mainsail reefing lines (we have twin lines for two reefs), the mainsheet, main halyard, lazy jack line, cunningham and rigid vang.

The rigid vang line is short enough to rest on the cabin top.  The cunningham line is coiled and left up top.  It's very long, to be used as a preventer also.  The reefing lines are short enough to stay on the top out of the way when they exit the sheetstoppers.  The traveler control lines rest on the cockpit coaming when in use (one's longer than the other when the traveler is not centered).  The lazy jack line is coiled and rests on the top behind the dodger.  We coil the main halyard up when the sail's up and hang it off the cleat.  The jib halyard is not necessary to run aft and is on the mast.  We coil the mainsheet up and hang it off the cleat when the day is done.  No bags, no extra "stuff."  Here's a picture.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Chris

We installed 8 little screw-in "buttons" with an attached loop that hangs the coiled lines, 4 on each side of the cockpit next to the companionway. Lines are kept neat, and provide a bit of "cushion" if you want to lay back against the cabin wall.  Don't kick me off the list, but we ordered them from Beneteau.
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

tassber

Try your local canvas shop.  I don't remember what I paid but it wasn't expensive.  I made 2 pockets on each side but next time I will put two more smaller pockets in front of them.  Also great for a handheld radio or cell phone, etc.  Mine are attached with the quarter turn fasteners like my main sail cover.  The bags are not in the way of anything are not too bad to lean against.

Jim Price

I ordered two sheet bag kits from SailRite (wanted to learn how to sew Sunbrella on small project).  Did not use their Velcro attachnment method but made them with two straps (with twist latchs)attached to back topside.  I have also added an extra 24" grabrail on each top side of the companionway for additional security.  I simply loop the two straps through each of the grabrails and let bags hang on each side INSIDE of the companionway. I stuff the things I don't use in them (working and spare halyards) reducing the number of lines in the cocpit. The sheets have gotta be free so I don't worry with them except to keep coiled.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA