Availability of hardwall water hose for M-25 engine

Previous topic - Next topic

mel low

Does anybody know where to order the 5/8 and 7/8 hardwall hose?  I can't find any locally unless I go to a hydraulic shop, which wants $10/per foot.

Craig Illman

Fisheries Supply will have it. http://www.fisheriessupply.com/   They don't have unreasonable pricing and you can have it the next day from Seattle. If you just need some short pieces, I have a couple feet of each, but I'd have to go check storage to see whether it's wire reinforced or not.

Craig

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I made the mistake of using a short piece of hydraulic hose to connect the adaptor off the water heater hose to the engine. Works fine, lasts a long time.............until you have to take it off! The hose clamp compresses the metal reinforcement inside the hose to the point where you have to cut it off with a grinding wheel (or at least I did).

So I wouldn't reccomend the hydraulic hose unless that's all you have and you need it NOW.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

SeaFever

Hi Mel,

What is your application? Exhaust hose or raw water hose? Trident is one of the larger manufacturers. I have also seen 'Shields' as the brand on the hoses. I would recommend using a marine grade hose. It may be slightly expensive but will provide you with good service. Also if you apply a good coat of Lanocote of TuffGel on the inside before sliding the hose on and clamping it, it will be easier to get it off.

Locally, here in the Bay area I get my hoses from The Outboard Motor Shop or Svendsens. You will need to find a marine supply store in your area or check fisheriesupply per Craig's suggestion. Check out West Marine if you have them close by. They have a good selection. I searched for Exhaust hose and found a bunch. Here is a link to one of the them:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/3671/377%20710/0/exhaust%20hose/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=exhaust%20hose&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=exhaust%20hose&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=145&classNum=146

Hope that helps.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on April 06, 2010, 04:47:07 PM
....until you have to take it off! The hose clamp compresses the metal reinforcement inside the hose to the point where you have to cut it off with a grinding wheel (or at least I did).

I use Lanocote on all our hose barbs - makes it easier to take off, even the wire reinforced hoses on the engine hoses.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mel : You were asked a good question - what are you doing that hard wall hose is required rather than wire reinforced hose?? 
5/8" hose is used for a number of hoses on the engine / water heater.  Can't think of any application for a 7/8" hose ?  1 5/8" ID is used for the exhaust.  1 1/2" ID is used for the head. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

7/8" hose is used from underneath the fresh water cooling pump 1" to 7/8" elbow under the alternator to the HX, as I recall.  That's the unusual transition elbow that was discussed recently and somewhat hard to find.  IIRC, I got mine from a Universal dealer, and Ron got his from an automotive store.

Yes, wire reinforced is all you need.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mel low

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 07, 2010, 05:28:32 PM
Mel : You were asked a good question - what are you doing that hard wall hose is required rather than wire reinforced hose?? 
5/8" hose is used for a number of hoses on the engine / water heater.  Can't think of any application for a 7/8" hose ?  1 5/8" ID is used for the exhaust.  1 1/2" ID is used for the head. 

7/8" hose goes from the short hose from the thermostat to the antifreeze tank, from the back of the antifreeze tank to the heat exchanger, and from the heat exchanger to the 90 under the alternator bracket.

mel low

Quote from: mel low on April 06, 2010, 01:02:25 PM
Does anybody know where to order the 5/8 and 7/8 hardwall hose?  I can't find any locally unless I go to a hydraulic shop, which wants $10/per foot.

Hey everyone - thanks!  This is the first time we've tried this forum, and I REALLY appreciate your input.  I ended up ordering the wire reinforced from Fisheries Supply today; it should be here in a couple of days.  Great to know there's this great information source here.  (It may take me a few tries to post things right.) MEL

Ron Hill

Mel : Thanks for reminding me, the 7/8" hose connects the HX to the engine internal coolant. 
That's what wire reinforced hose is for - when you need to make that acute turns in the rear of the engine. The other hose from the HX to the waterpump is on the pressure side and need only be nylon reinforced.  The other small hose next to the alternator needs to be a preformed hose (take it to any auto store and match it)
Just make sure that you use a good grade hose.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788