Replacing halyards

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

I need to replace my main and jib halyards and I don't have a clue as to what I should buy.
We use the 34 for cruising the Chesapeake and don't do any racing.
Any help and recommendations as to which type I should get would be appreciated.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Sundance

I just did this a couple of weeks ago.  There is plenty of info on this board to help you, but let me tell you what I did.  I too am a cruiser, but want to get the best performace I can.  I used 3/8" Sta-Set X, I bought 115' as recommended in the C34 manual.  I would probably buy 110' of I did it again.  I have almost 15' of spare main halyard using the 115'.  To install I would recommend buying some whipping ($8 at WM), I took a small piece and put a couple of stitches between the old halyard and new, then wrapped in electrical tape.  Then just pull it through.  The connection between the new and old is pretty strong if you put the couple of stitches in, plus now that you have the whipping you can whip the ends of all your lines. :thumb:  Whole project took less than 1/2 hour.

So far I like the Sta-Set X, I would highly recommend it.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Stu Jackson

Three issues:  size, stretch and cost.

Size - stay with same size you have unless you buy ultra low stretch and can go smaller, check your sheaves, too, in any event.  No need to go bigger, ever.

Stretch - do a search on "halyard" and do some reading.  Here's an example:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4738.0.html  The reason I suggest a search is that not only do you get a lot of hits, but the search engine also shows snippets of the discussion and you can easily determine whether that particular topic is up your alley or not.

Cost - pretty much depends on stretch (and, of course, length).  Please measure YOUR OWN length and don't depend on others.  Like, we don't know if you have a tall rig or not! :D  Having a few extra feet is really worth it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

catalina0825

Sundance,
Please apologize to the message board community for sharing your experience, although intresting and informative, you did not make the reference to the search function and since your response does not agree with  Stu, you should probably remove it.

Thanks.

Lazybone,
I would also recommend a little less line, I replaced my halyards a couple years back and as you indicate you are a cruiser, I hate having 15-20' of extra line sitting in the cockpit while we are at dock.  I think if you could measure your own line, you probably would, but you probably came to this board looking for advice other than "go measure your own".  If you have a standard rig (thanks Stu for reminding me that some folks have tall rigs) I would go with 110' of line.

Ron Hill

Lazybone : I believe that Catalina recommends(written in your owners manual) that the standard rig haylards be 115'.  So if #825 has an "extra 15-20' " of haylard - I don't know what to say?

In defense of Sundance, your same question comes up every couple of years(for the past 22 years) and gets answered each time.   :?
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

My inventory indicates that I bought 120 feet of line for our new main halyard in Feb 2000.  I would like to have purchased 5 more feet because it's needed for retying the knot for the headboard shackle.  That's why.  We do NOT have a tall rig.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

Just bought a new main halyard and sheet yesterday from West Marine. Went with 115' of 11mm on the halyard, NER VPC and 60' of 1/2" on the sheet, NER Sta-set. Wanted Sampson LST, but they didn't have it in the rigging dept, only in the shipping whse. If you go thru the rigging dept, you can order the splices as well. WM has a good sale going on for running rigging. Better pricing than Defender, and free shipping till Sunday (I think). I also had a couple of WM coupons, so I feel I got a good deal.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

lazybone

Wanted to thank everyone for the help.
I decided on NER VPC 10mm, and ordered it from Defender. (I don't mind paying a bit more to one of the few WM competitors and less to Gov in sales tax)
I'm hoping the braided core makes it easier to splice than the sta set x
Stu, the link to the other thread with its detailed pictures and info was excellent.

Catalina0825, you're obviously not new to this board, so why would you go through the effort to register a new profile just to make a stupid comment?
Geez, I wish I had more free time.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

foursailing

Just replaced my main and jib halyard with T-900.  100' was just the right length for both. 
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ