Lewmar portlights

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Couldn't find the old for sale place on the General Activities board

available:  (2) Lewmar #361045009, field labeled New ST 1 RE GRY, GYM WIN DHINGE from a 2003 C34.  $25 plus s&h  acrylic with the hinges; still in box

Any questions about fit, call Lewmar (800-362-7212)

Tom doesn't have email and sent me snail mail note.

PS - This material is from TOM, not from me, I just posted it for him.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Brockman

Stu -

My boat is hull #231 and was probably build a week after yours. Can I assume the my opening ports are Lewmar or did Catalina use another brand at that time. The one boat project my wife wants me to do is to replace the opening ports that are completely clouded. I would like to only replace the lenses if possible as there aren't any problems with the ports themselves. Does anyone sell just the opening part of the ports?

Thanks,

- Gary -

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ken Juul

I got replacement lens from www.selectplastics.com/  Perfect fit.  Have heard the same from several others that have used them.  They have a variety of patterns, if there is a question about what you have, email a picture with dimensions.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Gary Brockman on April 26, 2009, 10:53:06 PMMy boat is hull #231...Can I assume...are Lewmar or did Catalina use another brand at that time...to replace the opening ports that are completely clouded...to only replace the lenses if possible as there aren't any problems with the ports themselves. Does anyone sell just the opening part of the ports?

Gary, at the rate they were making C34s back then it was probably only an hour later!  If your forward cabin top ports look just like the ones in the aft cabin, they are Beckson ports - white trim rings, black lenses.

Beckson is still in business and are great to work with.  You can get parts.  You can also replace those screw knobs with quick release cams.

Before you spend the money, consider two things:

1.  Privacy:  Al Watson sent us some cardboard cutout that fit inside the lenses.  Our lenses are so foggy we don't need them.

2.  Toothpaste!:  Try cleaning one with toothpaste, might shine it up.

I did see Chuck Hughe's #223 in So. Cal. many years ago and he had just replaced all the lenses, looks nice.

Try comparative shopping, like www.sailboatowners.com and others before going to Beckson.  I used the phone working with them, very helpful::: 203-333-1412  Also info in the wiki.

The size is 5 x 12 for every single port.  If they ever leak around the frames, we've also got the solution for you for complete removal - I've done two or three, pretty easy.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

WTunnessen

Replacement lens for Lewmars are also available from Catalina Direct.  I did not  see any lens listed as stock on the Select plastics but I would be curious how their prices compare.  I recently replaced 4 out of 6 with the CD ones and since they are slightly thinker, the are forming a tighter seal. If you replace the lens, also replace the small gaskets in the knobs.  BTY, I used a very small pen knife to pry out the caps from the knobs, which took less an minute.  I found this thread helpful for ordering the gaskets http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,712.0.html     
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Joe Nalley

My source was Catalina direct for Lewmar openng port lenses and screens. Perfect fit.

Joe Nalley
Allegro 415