Fuel Tank Inspection Port and Cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

Replaced the Racor this weekend and noticed it was in real bad shape – surprised I was still able to get fuel through the thing.  The engine is a 1999 and only has about 250 hrs on it.  I'm guessing this filter has less than 50 hrs use – I've had the boat for only one season.

Not sure the previous owner was the most attentive to maintenance – like filling up the tank at the end of each season and using fuel additives.  Based on the low usage I'm also assuming the same fuel stayed in the tank for a long time – plus it wasn't used for a while due to the PO's health problems.

So I am considering cleaning the tank (and removing screen a the same time)– read Ron's article on the subject as well as other useful info – one item I came across that looked interesting was installing an inspection port – a company called seabuilt.com makes them.  Also found a radiator shop that will do a steam cleaning for about a $100.

Does anyone have any experience with installing inspection ports – if so where is the best place to install – does anyone know where the baffles in the tank are located?  How difficult are the hoses to remove from the tank & fittings?

Oh yeah, poor planning on my part as I filled up the tank at the end of last season.  I'd like to start with fresh diesel - anyone know the best way to get rid of the old fuel?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

David Sanner

I replaced my fuel sender last week and had a decent view of one
end of the tank but looking into the send hole.

To my surprise the bottom was clean, there were some loose globs of
debris floating around but overall it wasn't bad.  It's a 20 year old tank.

You might start by pulling out the sender as you can remount it
using the same gasket.   It is a squeeze in the locker to be able
to look into the tank but doable for most.

If your tank isn't that bad you might try fuel polishing.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Stu Jackson

I agree with Dave - that was my first inclination and he beat me to the post!   :D

An inspection port may also be considered counterproductive, since there are at least two or three sections baffled off, so you can only see into the one section where the port would be installed.  Why not just use the one that's there already: the sender.  Anyway, there's so little room above the tank to get your head into that once you open up the wall separating the aft cabin from the tank, you'll see.

You're right that you should remove the screen at the end of the pickup tube.

Look at it this way: what a good excuse to use your boat more often to motor around and get rid of the old fuel!   :clap

Just keep changing your Primary filter, change the secondary on the engine as well, learn to bleed (see: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2884.0.html) and re-plumb your fuel hose from the tank to the Racor and then to the fuel pump.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Soko

Bill,
If you do go the route of getting rid of your old fuel, a very easy way to do so is to give it away.  A neighbor of mine heats his home with oil, and was extremely happy to receive 20 or so gallons of free diesel fuel.  It is very close to #2 home heating oil, and you don't have to pay any outrageous "disposal" fees. 
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ted Pounds

If you pump it out through your filter and save it in jerry cans you can just pour it back in.  If it's gone through the filter it should be in good shape.  I also think you should have no problem giving it away.  When I did mine I didn't have The last five gallons I poured into the new tank.  Bottom line is that you should not have to pay to dispose of it.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Guys : If you use the new Starbrite Enzyme Fuel Tank Cleaner, it will save you the trouble of removing the tank.  It will cost you a couple of Racor filters (depending how much crud is in your tank), but it does clean up the insides nicely.   :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

foursailing

Thanks for all the response – very helpful.  Based on feedback I think I will hold off on pulling the tank and installing the inspection port- which means I can get in the water a week earlier – always a good thing. 

I will remove the screen and try the starbrite enzyme fuel tank cleaner Ron mentioned – Ron has never steered me wrong before!  I'll also stock up on those Racor filters.

Thanks again!!
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Jon Schneider

Quote from: foursailing on April 23, 2008, 12:56:12 PM
I will remove the screen and try the starbrite enzyme fuel tank cleaner Ron mentioned – Ron has never steered me wrong before!  I'll also stock up on those Racor filters.

Just be careful.  If you do this treatment in a dramatic way, you will clog your Racor and the engine will stall, so you need to check the filter's condition very carefully before you leave the dock (if you keep your boat at a dock), and again before you return to the harbor or to any tough-to-navigate-by-sail area. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ted Pounds

Probably the best way to do it with the Starbrite cleaner is to pump the fuel through the filter into a jerry can(s).  Then pour it back into the tank.  Jon is right you don't want to be motoring around while that stuff is in there clogging up your filter.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

sailingdream

So let me get this right, throw in the Starbrite in, let it do the job of breaking what ever you have in the tank, then pump it out filter out what you can and then back into the tank instead of having the Racor filter it out on it's own?

Ken Juul

I think they mean pump it out through the racor using the electric engine pump.  You can see when the filter get fouled by the reduced volume flowing.  It might help to raise the aft end of the tank an inch or so to get all the fuel forward where the pickup up is.  Once the tank is empty, you will probably have to sop the last half gallon of fuel/water/crud with some rags, change the racor, refill the tank with the now clean fuel, bleed the system and you should be all set.  Depending on how full you tank is it should only take 2-3 hours to pump and clean.  There should be enough fuel cans around the marina that you can borrow for an afternoon rather than buying them.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Schneider

That sounds like the right process, Ken, but I think we need Ron or someone else who has used this stuff to enlighten us one point: how fast does it work?  Having read the product's MSD, it looks like it actually works somewhat opposite to what you're suggesting.  If I've interpreted it correctly, it seems to disburse all of the crud in the tank, including the water which accumulates at the bottom, back into the fuel.  It essentially kills the organic elements and, if you will, dirties all of the fuel (which would be a good thing for this purpose).  The question is, how fast does this process happen, and does it need any "pot stirring" (e.g., taking the boat in rough water to shake things up a bit)?  Might be worth a call to the manufacturer.  My worry would be that if you do the pump out/filtering too quickly, the product won't have had a chance to perform its magic, but if you have to wait, you'll be motoring around with fuel that is getting more and more evenly dirty (versus having all the crud settled in one spot on the bottom of the tank now).
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

foursailing

Jon - I spoke to the manufacturer - they were very helpful.  I asked the exact same questions - the process works very quickly - I was told that I would just need to wait an hour or so before begining the pump out / filter process and no, mixing / aggitation is not needed (some type of reaction take place).

I will be filetering through my racor -   I'm going to remove the hose to the raw water intake and route the fuel line to the ground and waiting containers.  Just need to purchase some additional fuel line - (does anyone know the diameter by any chance - not close to my boat). I'm going to try the process this weekend and will report back.

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Stu Jackson

The fuel supply line is 3/8 inch.

Raw water hose removal???
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

foursailing

So my plan is to turn off fuel supply at the tank, connect the 3/8 hose (thanks!) to the Racor outlet, remove the raw water hose, open the raw water through hull, route the new (temporaty) fuel hose through the through hull and into the container which will be sitting on the ground.

Open the fuel supply and assume gravity will do the rest.  Is my plan flawed?
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ