Horn Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lanzilli

I am looking to install a horn system on the boat with the intention of integrating it with the FogMate Horn controller, http://www.fogmate.com/.  I would be interested in knowing if anyone has installed a simple horn system on your boat, which horn/switch did you select and where did you locate them on your boat.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Tom Soko

Tom,
A buddy of mine mounted a horn (sorry, I don't know which model) just below his mast-mounted radar.  It faces forward and slightly downward.  It works very well for him.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

David Sanner

On the mast forward sounds like a good idea, ie. point it away from your ears ;)

If you need an update (DSC) to your VHF you could get one with a built
in hailer/foghorn for not much more than the price of  the  FogMate.

for example: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|301236|320669&id=328995
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Tom Lanzilli

This seems like a neat product, but my VHF is only about 3 years old.  Would you have a recomendation on what type of horn I should use?  In asking around I have not found many sailors using built in horns.

Thanks for the help.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Ron Hill

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Lanzilli

Stu that is unbelievable, what will they think of next.  Actually I did by the Fog Mate system and have it set up and working in my garage (it is about 20 degrees outside).  The one thing I am struggling with is which horn to purchase.  For a 12 meter boat which is approximately 39 feet you can go from 106 db to 110 db on average.  I am not sure that the 4 db delta would make a big difference in sound.  The one unit that is 123 db might be over doing it; it is really hard to tell since the only way to test them would be to buy them.

:?

Thanks for the continued help from all...
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Stu Jackson

As an old acoustician (that only means I did it a long time ago... :D) 3 db is a doubling in sound power level...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."