Too late to treat the fuel ?

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdream

I can't believe this. It just hit me that I never treated the fuel before haul out.  I think I had about 3/4 tank left. The boat didn't come out of the water until Dec 7th. Yes I know LATE in the season. The marina took their time.  There was ice in the harbor and I was totally locked in with the ice(I have pics to prove it :) ) it was thick enough that I was able to stand on the ice without cracking it. Anyways back to the fuel. This is my first sailboat with diesel engine so this is all new to me. Should I do anything now or is it too late? Next time I take jump to the boat should I treat it?
I'm located in Toronto where it was -19C(-3F) last night.

Kyle Ewing

I typically don't treat my fuel and am in Chicago.  I do make sure the tank is full before laying her up for the winter to reduce water from condensation. 

I'm amazed by diesel engines.  Every season I've had a diesel (5 with my current, 5 with a previous) the engine has started in the spring as if it was just shutdown the night before.  My boat is the same age as yours (1990, hull #1010).

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ted Pounds

Put some stabilizer in the tank anyway.  Optimally you want to run the engine after that so that stabilized fuel gets spread throughout the fuel system.  If the batteries are still on board you can open the bleed nut on the engine and run the electric fuel pump.  That will cycle fuel through most of the system (except the little in the injector lines to the cylinders).  Letting the pump run for about 10 minutes should do it.  Maybe go a little longer to help mix the stabilizer into the fuel in the tank.  If you don't have the batteries on board it'll probably be OK.  Just get the fuel mixed as soon as you can in the spring.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mark Wey

Sailing Dream, What Kyle and Ted say is good advice. I would consider the following as well. Since you only have 3/4 of a tank. I would add the fuel treatment now. Don't be afraid to be very liberal with the amount. If you read the directions on the can you will find that there is no harm if you over do it a bit. After you have added the treatment go ahead and fill up the fuel tank with diesel. The sloshing that you will create in the tank when you add the 5 or 6 gallons should more that adequately mix the treatment in the fuel. It is not necessarily the cold weather that can do the harm. But the weather that we will get this weekend. Forcast to be about 12C by early next week. The change in temperature is prime condition for creating condensation. But if you fill the tank before the weather change there should be no problem.

113 days till launch.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Ken Heyman

I was also remiss this year. I have never had a problem in past years when I didn't treat the fuel. What do you reccommend as a treatment/moisture absorber. I have used different products over the years with cautions regarding the effect of alcohol on seals and gaskets.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdream

Thanks folks. I will take a trip down to the mother ship this weekend and drop in some treatment. And drop in some new fuel. But I have another question(well maybe two).

This fuel thats in the tank I know for sure has been there since about June. I bought him down in FL and now in Toronto and the tank was almost fulll when I bought it and I used the engine  a few times in 2007 before it got too cold. So should I still top it off or just treat it now and try to use up the old stuff before putting in new fuel?

Second question, not related to treatment, but the starter. How long should I heat up the glow plugs? Last yr I was holding it for about 20-25 seconds before it would start up easy.(during the summer)

Mark Wey

Sailing Dream

This is just my opinion. We will see of others differ. I would still fill the tank after I added fuel. If you don't add fuel you run the risk and probability of condensation. Unless you feel you might want to empty the tank in the spring and then clean it. Definitely a good idea.

As for the starting issue. 20 seconds on the glow plugs in the summer is not abnormal in my experience.

Search this site for a solenoid project regarding the glow plugs. Another well worth it upgrade. If it is not already done.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Stu Jackson

The solenoid glow plug Project article is here:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-glowplugs.html

If you haven't done it yet, you'll need at least 20 seconds to warm up your glow plugs, since the power goes all the way to the cockpit panel and back again.

With the glow plug solenoid, 12-15 seconds works just fine.

As far as old fuel, I've simply found that to be another urban legend.  You're talking about six months at the most here.  How many have had diesel automobiles, maybe left at grandma's house for some reason.  Come back after a few months, still works.

We use our boat a lot, and I've been refueling when we get to half a tank maybe three to five times a year (see my fuel log sample in this post: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3841.0).  Doing it this way keeps the fuel reasonably current, but would pertain even if done every six months.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Sailing : It's never too late to add fuel stabilizer/diesel additive.  I use MDR products because they are alcohol free.
You can add it to 2-3 gals of fuel and top off your tank (to reduce condensation inside the fuel tank).  Then do as Ted mentioned - open the bleed valve, turn on the key switch and let the electric fuel pump circulate the the fuel for about 10-15 minutes and you should be good for winter storage.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

one of the product lines that i sell is a fuel cond. by crc. i have posted many replies about the benefits of treating fuel, especially now, with the low sulfur fuel that can wreck havoc for those of us with older engines as it can deteriorate the o-rings in the pump and cause leaking. using a cond. will help in preventing this along with many other benefits. as stated above, make sure the product you buy does not contain alcohol. you can get name brand products at truck stops and truck parts stores and napa. get a winter product with anti-gel, which of course, can be used all season.  in a cold climate, untreated fuel gels up,actually becomes waxy. a good cond. will dissipate water, clean the injectors and fuel system and raise the cetene rating, and prevents gelling. the correct way to treat the fuel is to put in the cond. in first, then fill with fuel so that you get a good mix, other wise the cond. justs sits on the fuel. as stated above, its not too late, add the cond. and put in about 5 gals diesel to get ok blend. but this justs treats the fuel in the tank, not whats in the lines, pump, injectors and filters. if you still have the batteries set up and have not yet winterized your engine, nows the best time to do this right. add the cond. fill with diesel,fire her up, flush out the salt water with fresh, change the oil and filters, and next spring you are good to go. she'll fire right up and run great. just my thoughts.it was 0 out today...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma