Other Catalina Boats

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray & Sandy Erps

Our daughter and son-in-law are soon to be third generation sailors.  They want me to go look at a 1976 Catalina 27 with them.  I know that a lot of C-34 owners previously owned smaller Catalinas, so I thought I would check with this crew to see if there is anything I should watch out for when we go take a look.  If you can help, please private message me or email me since this is off topic.

Thanks,  Ray
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Stu Jackson

Ray, check the C27 Association website.  They had a great website in the mid 90's, but then switched over to a newer one, which is still pretty good.  There may a link on the new site to the old site, which looked, incidentally, just like our old website - they used the same old HTML program.  Good luck.  Lots has to do with outboard or inboard power.  Almost otherwise, same things go wrong with them that do with ours.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kaplan

ray, before i got my c34 3 years ago, i hade a 1974 c27 for about 12 years. loved the boat. your e-mail is blocked so i don't know how to contact you, but mine is not, so you can e-mail me or call my cell # 508-641-6912 and i will tell you what you need to know. remember, i am on the east coast, 3 hr diff. it was a sad day when i sold her, but no regrets now...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Bob K

Ray,
We also loved our 1985 C27.  8 years of ownership and no real issues to speak of. Sailed great.  You might want to check the engine type - my personal preference for diesel forced me to look at newer models.  I opted for diesel mostly for the safety aspect, but reliabilty and parts availability also a plus - again that is personal preference.  I recall there was an issue with some C27s where a piece of plywood used to form the bilge floor (glassed over on top) would get waterlogged and rot.  A surveyor can easily check this out  Good luck.   
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Joe and Carol

The Catalina you mention has great versatility to be trailered to new sailing locations and used on warm winter days.   One may want to keep the boat forever for perfect day sailing.  Wish you Luck.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri