Helmsman question

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rick Johnson

Hey, some of us are divorced and have learned to sail our own boat!
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Some of us are NOT divorced and still get to go sailing singlehanded.   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Single handing may be fun and challenging, but quite a number of us appreciate the opposite sex on board for a number of reasons !!     :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Price

I agree totally!  If the Admiral was not on board, how would I know what to do, where to go, when we are heeling too much, why do we have to change sides to sit on, and "can you get me a drink while you do this tacking thing?"

Just kidding except for the heeling too much and sitting position comments!    :roll:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Joe and Carol

Singlehand sailing.  Just finished today over four hours of wonderful singlehanded sailing in steady 12 - 16 knot winds on Stockton Lake in Missouri.  Fun to do if your prepared and stay organized.  The Catalina 34 is easy and forgiving and our tall rig stays well to wind when properly trimmed. Had 4.6 knots wing on wing.  I love to singlehand and the fall winds seem to favor solos on Stockton Lake.  Only had one "oops" with the Nicro traveler self releasing on a tack, guess next spring I will do the garhauer conversion.  And, I almost knocked the winch handle in?  Been there?  No wife today, no dogs, no music. . . just the sounds of the sail talking to the fleeting indian summer winds, and my realization winter comes too soon to those staying ahead of the bubble track in the blue.  With the experience of sailing a fine boat, designed to help you master the wind one is never really alone.

Joe
YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 Tall Rig
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Randy Stolze

I frequently singlehand due to the admiral still working and me retired.

Last week I was having a ball in 24-28 mph wind with only my 155 jib up. I was in the 6-7 knot range all day!

I almost went over the side when I set the autopilot on a reach to fill my coffee cup and light a cigar. I immediately put on my inflatable pfd and will probably wear it in the future when in those kinds of conditions.

Randy

glwestcott

One addition I really found helpful for single handling and have used even when we have had lots of crew, is double preventers made out of vangs.  I use two four part tackle vangs and attach them with a sacrificial loop of line tied to a bale on the boom.  The vang is attached to this and two fittings mounted near the toe rail on each side of the boat.  The lines are led back to cam cleats mounted on the outside of the coaming on each side of the boat.  They can be easily controlled from the cockpit and make a great way to jibe without worries.  Also help in flattening the sail of you need to pull the main down more when it is out a bit.  We also run jacklines and have attachment points for harnesses in the cockpit as well.  I would expect that falling overboard while singlehandling would not be fun!
Gary Westcott
C34 Jennifer Anne

Ken Heyman

I singlehand a fair amount as well. Something I have thought about a bit (and has previously been discussed in this forum) is getting back in the boat in the unlikely event I am ejected and lucky enough to be proximate to the boat. Obviously if we are always harnessed in this shouldn't occur. If not, the ladder is the only way to easily get back on board. I tie a line from the ladder and let it hang maybe a foot above the surface of the water(some attach it to a tennis ball). I have the ladder loosely" secured while sailing so I could lower it  from the water in an emergency. It does come down rather briskly which I guess is another risk. A portable rail mounted ladder might be another option.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il