stupid fuel cap trick

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

While attempting to top off my fuel tank for a midwestern winter, colder temperatures along with my own carelessness managed to crack the palstic fuel cap and render the female socket not useable. I ultimately was able to get the broken cap out but not without a few small pieces of plastic falling into the fuel tank. Not that I can do much about it, but I am curious if the plastic is likely to dissolve(hopefully) or perhaps in the alternative clog the fuel pick-up line or a filter. All has been well with my fuel the last couple of seasons since I removed the screen and cleaned my tank.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ted Pounds

They're unlikely to dissolve.  Otherwise they wouldn't use that material for a fuel cap!  :shock:  There is a baffle in the tank that might keep them in the aft part; at least for a while.  I suspect that they wont clog your intake unless they happen to be a perfect fit to seal the end - which IMHO is unlikely.  That said you should try to get them out when you can.  I think you should be able to wait till the next tank cleaning.  What does everyone else think?
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Ken : I agree with Ted that the plastic will not dissolve.  It could get into the pickup tube and if caught MIGHT give you the symptoms of fuel starvation (lower RPM, shutting down engine and then being OK at startup - for awhile).  If they are small enough they'll get caught by the Racor.
I've written a number of articles recommending that all C34 owners with the "plastic" fuel fill cap, replace the entire fuel fill assembly with a stainless steel one.  That cap can/WILL crack and let rain/washing the boat water into the fuel tank.  Quite a number of Mainsheet articles on that same topic!! 
It's about a 2/3 hour task to change fuel fill units - easily done!!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ted & Ron,

--- additional questions - How dense is plastic. Are these remnants likely on the bottom of the tank waiting to be "kicked up" by heavy weather or are they floating on the surface.
What tech note or mainsheet article details the installation of a stainless fuel fill assembly. I saw August 1990 ----any others?
Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : I have no idea on the density of the plastic in the cap.  Break off a piece and put it in some diesel and see.

On changing out the fuel fill unit :  Remove the screws that attach it to the deck.  Remove the engine instrument panel so you can get to the hose clamp and the fill hose.  Loosen the hose clamp and push the old fill unit UP from underneath.  You might want to take a putty knife and break the caulk seal between the fill flange and the deck - careful not to bugger up the gel coat.  The unit will pop up once the caulk seal is broken with upward pressure. 
Then take off the old fill unit and install the new stainless unit.      :clap
Ron, Apache #788