Fuel in the bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdeal

We keep finding some diesel fuel in the bilge on Free Spirit.  We've sopped it up with absorbent pads and all is well until we go sailing and use the engine to motor in and out of the slip. I've put absorbent pads under the primary fuel filter and the entire area in the comparment in the head, and that stays relatively dry in between sails.  I'm inclined to believe that something is going on during the time the engine is running that drips fuel into the bilge somehow.  I've examined the area pretty closely and there doesn't seem to be any leakage from the fuel tank.  Any ideas where this fuel might be coming from??

Ray & Sandy Erps

If it only leaks when the engine is running I'd pull the engine cover off, start up the motor and start following the fuel line on the pressure side of the fuel transfer pump.  I'd look for chafing spots on the rubber fuel line and pay particular attention to the top of the injector pump and the fuel return lines from the injectors and then follow the return hose back to the fuel tank.  

If it leaks all the time then an inspection of the fuel tank and the lines between the fuel tank and the fuel transfer pump will be required as well.

Hopefully it will be a leaky Racor filter.  I had the plastic bowl on the Racor on my previous boat that was hard to seal even after replacing the o-ring.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ed Shankle

Also check your fuel tank. It may be dripping down the hull and working it's way to bilge.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Mike Vaccaro

Try to be methodical and work your way from the engine to the tank.  There are connections at the engine, the primary fuel filter, electric pump and fuel tank.  Any connection or hose could be the culprit.  Additionally, the aluminum tank may suffer from pitting corrosion in the bottom of the tank.  Eventually, this type of corrosion will breach the tank wall and cause "weeping," i.e., a slow trickle of fuel.  If this occurs, it is most likely to occur on the bottom of the tank.  You'll need to remove the port bulkhead in the aft compartment to check the tank connections and the tank shelf for signs of leaking.  

Best of luck,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ted Pounds

Fuel in the bilge was my first clue that I had pin-holes in my tank.    I looked all around for the source.  It  wasn't until the leak got big enough and I found the fuel residue on the tank shelf that I figured it out.  I'm not sure how it did it, but initially (until the leak increased) I could not find the trail of fuel from the tank to the bilge.  By the way, what is the year of your boat?  Found any water or sludge in your filter?  An older boat with water in the tank greatly increases the chances it may be corrosion in the tank.  Just a few thoughts....
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

jj : Always give the year and Hull # of your boat so we don't have to guess.

Take off the port side panel in the aft cabin.  If you have a leak in the fuel tank or it's fittings the smell should knock you over and a residue on the plywood platform that the tank sits on.

If it's a fuel fitting, start at the tank (with the key switch on so the fuel pump is pumping) go to each fuel fitting and check it with a paper towel.

Get youself a few fuel diapers from WestMarine and cut them so a piece is under the engine and on each side. Then run the engine for awhile.
A few thoughts :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Marshall Tonner

I also had fuel in the bilge and discovered the clamp for the vent line loose at the transom through hull, and because I had a full tank and with heat expansion it was dripping!
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II