steaming light

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

THE STEAMING LIGHT IS OUT ON OUR 1987 CAT. 34. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IT MAY BE SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE BULB? WHAT ELSE CAN I CK. BEFORE I SLITHER UP THE MAST WHICH I DONT WANT TO DO UNLESS NOTHING ELSE WORKS. ANY IDEAS??

mogline

Ron,
   Check the wiring at the base of the mast.  Connection points (i.e. plugs or wiring terminals) are prone to corrosion.  You can also use a meter to check continuity in the circuit before you climb.

hdevera

Ron,

Most boats have a junction relay box to which the wiring from the mast is connected.  That way when the mast comes off, you can disconnect the wiring.  You could check to be certain that you have current getting to this point.  Then you would at least know the problem is from the masthead light to the junction box (and most likely the bulb).

Ted Pounds

If/when you go up the mast you might find that the bulb is OK and that the contacts are corroded.  So bring some fine sand paper with you.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

We had the same problem recently and knew that the bulbs were fine.

Check the fuse.

I did, the fuse was fine, but the tips just needed a bit of cleaning.  I must have replaced the fuse last time with dirty fingers.

Quick and easy (no going up the mast) fix.

Just for starters.

Whenever something like this happens, do what everyone here says, but list everything that could be wrong and do the checks in the easiest order first.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ray Erps

Certainly agree with Stu about checkign the easy stuff first.  Our Nav lights are flakey and I'm pretty sure it's the contacts in the switch, because if I turn the switch on and off a couple of times, they start working again.  There's always something!