Halogen lights

Previous topic - Next topic

John "Calypso" #1431

My 1999 model has "FriLight" 10 watt halogens (at least that looks like the name)that articulate within a plastic frame. A couple of questions:
-When I bought the boat, the articulating part of one of the frames was bslightly blackened and showed signs of melting. I am guessing that the previous owner tried to put in a larger than 10w bulb and started a meltdown. Has anyone else had this problem?
-I am not sure how to get at the bulb to change it. Do you pull the lens and reflector downward until it releases or do you unscrew the frame and work from behind?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers,
John Langford

John Langford

Update on interior halogen light meltdown. It would appear that the previous owner or Catalina installed 20watt halogens in the Frilight fittings which say 10 watt maximum. And now I know why. Good 10 watt halogens cost about $15 whereas the 20 watt bulbs cost about $5 each. I bit the bullet and bought 8 of them at a slight discount and got rid of the 20 watt bulbs.

Cheers,
John

You might want to check the wattage of the bulbs if you have standard Frilight fittings. They will melt if you exceed 10 watts.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S