Mediterranean Mooring

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Mediterranean (stern to) mooring is getting more popular around here due to the premium on dock space at popular restaurants, watering holes, etc.  I'm curious if anyone has rigged a gangplank off the stern pulpit to facilitate getting on and off their boat.  If so, what is it made of, where do you stow it, and how is it deployed?  Sounds like a future project to me.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

Well, Mike, no immediate responses.

So, it's off to Home Depot for a long, light, ladder.

You and your wife get to walk off, but your canine may have to learn some different footsteps.

There's always the human chain...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

What a great weekend of sailing!  We took friends who are moving here in August out Saturday and then Jan and I went out Sunday after brunch.  Very light winds both days, except for thunderstorms - we got hammered twice.  When we were coming in sunday afternoon, we saw John and Kay Sheehan coming out in "Sea Shell", their brand new, beautiful, 2003 Catalina 34 - I'm trying to get then to join the association.

The Med mooring gangway is just an idea I've been thinking about for some time.  I've looked at ladders, scaffolding, etc., just about everything short of having one made ($$$).  Consensus is that you would store it strapped to the stantions like a sailboard or whisker pole. Right now I'm looking at a Werner "articulated" ladder at Lowe's.  They come in various lengths, can be configured in about 18 different ways, and fold up accordian style into a 4 ft package.  Partially disassembled, two adjacent segments would give a total of 8' off the stern.  Of course, the rungs would be covered with plywood, etc. Properly supported with halyards and attached to the stern pulpit, this may make sense.  Just a thought.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Mike Smith

We're visiting Jan's parents in Sun City (Phoenix, AZ) this week and, to pass the time, I've been looking over some of my old posts and surfing the Web. I think I may have found just the ticket for a gangplank off the stern for mediterrainian mooring. It's an 18.5 lb 18" x 70" moulded plastic folding multipurpose ramp made by a company called PetStep. Claims to hold up to 500 lbs. At $189 (or less at discount Web sites, just search for PetStep on Google) it's worth a try - even has a carrying case. I'll stow it in the aft cabin and extend it after we tie up. I'll check it out and report back with the results.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on November 25, 2003 at 11:47 AM.]

jentine

Mike,
Perhaps a landing pad for a gyrocopter might be in order.  If you used the forward deck to mount two inflatables and several pieces of plywood with a snap together fixture, you could anchor out and still have transportation to save some time and aggrivation med-mooring.  Using the spare halyard, the inflatables could be launched and the plywood fastened together and mounted atop the boats.  This would form the landing pad for the 'copter.  Lift the 'copter off the fore deck onto the landing pad and you will be in business.  
Just a thought - there is no end to the imagination when looking for ways to fill the finite space available on a 34' boat.

Jim Kane (this may be a product of too much time and not enough boating here in the "soon to be frozen north".)

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Jim,

Would comment, but have to go sailing...

Have you considered just how you want to plumb the steam catapult?  Do see any interference problems with the nuclear-powered windlass?  Overall, I'd consider eliminating the ice-breaking capability in favor of maintaining hull integrety to a depth of at least 1000 feet.

Cheers!

Mike

rm_fleming

Mike,

I am an Animal Control Director by profession.  I purchased petstep ramps to use on our animal control trucks for getting large dogs off and on the trucks.  I had the same idea you did about using it on the boat; so i took one with me to the boat, to try it.  It did not work.  They are constructed to bear weight while set on an angle.  If you step in the middle of it with it in a horizontal position and supported only on each end (like a gangway) the center portion of the ramp can not support the weight.  If you get one, make sure you can take it back if it doesn't work for you.

Mike Smith

Hi Roger -

I talked to the folks at PetStep yesterday about using the ramp as a gangplank and they volunteered that the older ramps might buckle. The new PetStep II is designed to be used in table (horizontal) mode also, and has two reinforcing braces which are inserted after it is unfolded. They recommened that this be done when using it as a gangplank. Here is a link to the results of some destructive testing done at San Jose State last year with the ramp mounted horizontally. Be assured that I also intend to "smoke test" the ramp ashore before I trust it with my life!  Thanks for your advice. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on November 26, 2003 at 03:02 PM.]

hdevera

Mike,

Don't let the snide remarks deter you on your attempts to improve your/our condition.  Life is about trying to improve the status quo.  I applaude your question on the ramp.  Although I may not use it on my boat... it has stimulated my thoughts for using it for my dog as she ages.  I love my dog and getting in and out of the truck will become harder for her.  Thanks for your remarks and the links to the website.

Hal

Stu Jackson

MED MOORING

Mike

This sounds very interesting.  I was under the impression that most folks (us excluded) didn't even know how to anchor, much less anchor in reverse and slip between other boats to make a Med Mooring.

What's been your experience with people doing the anchor drill in relatively crowded conditions?  We all have amusing "anchor hour" stories to tell, but with lots of boats around, I would suspect it may become less laughable and more dangerous.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."