Something is wrong with prop shaft boot

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Buy your Vetus motor mounts from Defender. They are about $90 ea.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Porchhound

I found Ron's article on changing motor mounts where he used the Vetus K50, and explained they would also work on the M25 engines.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Ron Hill

Porch : The Vetus K75 engine mounts will work on both the M25 and M25XP engines.  The K50 mount are a bit soft so I went to the K75s aft and the K50 in the front.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Porchhound

Hauling out on Sept 11 to have the work done. No estimate yet because they have to take the shaft out to determine what happened to shred my shaft log. Could be cutlass bearing or motor alignment, maybe I hit something when I was out. I'll post the outcome, along with details on a gofundme page :cry4`...the grandkids are hiding their pets so that source of income is out the window!

Ron Hill

Dave : The drive shaft WILL slide just past the rudder with the cutlass bearing still in place, BUT the shaft MUST be CLEAN and a little grease lube helps.

It is alot easier if you remove the cutlass bearing and then install a new one after the shaft is back in place!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

No one at the boat yard can figure out what caused the shaft log to disintegrate. Shaft doesn't appear bent, but they are sending it off to check. After haul out no evidence of impact. Progressive's adjuster is dragging his feet on coverage beings there is no obvious cause. The cutlass bearing is good. Huge mystery that may cost me 100% of a $7K plus repair bill.

I don't know how to deal with Progressive on a claim like this. Any ideas?

KWKloeber

Quote from: Porchhound on September 29, 2023, 02:56:14 PM

I don't know how to deal with Progressive on a claim like this. Any ideas?

Dave I have had occasion to contest residential insurance companies' denial or coverage whose idiot inspectors and adjusters didn't know what the hell condition they were looking at, no less attempt to make an accurate evaluation of the cause.  One way is to have an inspection. possibly a written report (if your attorney requests one) by a professional two levels above their heads to have some teeth for the attorney to put the insurance company on notice. 
The insurance company ended up covering the fee to perform that service for the insured party it first denied coverage.   I would be looking for a qualified licensed marine professional engineer to back you up as to the cause.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dave : You just learned why a number of us have our insurance with Boat U.S.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I would suggest someone other than Geico for this type of boat.  Perhaps a jet ski or a smaller trailer boat they would be sufficient, but I can't say they are any good at a cruising boat.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Alex: Interesting? Why, have you had a bad experience with BoatUS/Geico? I have had them for eight years now and have had no issues, although I have never made a claim. So my "endorsement" is unsubstantiated. My coverage is for an agreed value of $40K (what it would fetch, not what I have in it):cry4` and geographic cruising area limited to coastal and offshore waters of US and Canada. I haven't inquired (yet) about a Mexico rider.  Policy includes all "standard" pollution coverage and $500k liability, with my yacht club/marina also listed as a named insured.  My premium did go up 15% this year, but still is only $640 per year. I do have a higher personal liability umbrella, through my homeowers insurer (a different company).
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

I have USAA for my homeowners and vehicles.  When I bought the boat, I asked them who their preferred partner was and they said Geico.  When signing up for insurance, the call center employee had no idea about a boat.  I was challenged on my stated value as they said it was only insurable for what I bought it for.  I tried to explain where I bought it, sailing was not really a thing which depressed its value.  When I shipped it to Seattle where there is a large market, it's value is MUCH higher.  After 2 or 3 tries, I gave up and contacted a marine insurance broker here in Seattle who completely understood and I've been there since.  My Father has his 21' ski boat insured through Geico and he has been happy.  I just found it wasn't reasonable for my boat and my needs.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

karista

Quote from: Noah on September 30, 2023, 05:27:24 PM
Alex: Interesting? Why, have you had a bad experience with BoatUS/Geico? I have had them for eight years now and have had no issues, although I have never made a claim. So my "endorsement" is unsubstantiated. My coverage is for an agreed value of $40K (what it would fetch, not what I have in it):cry4` and geographic cruising area limited to coastal and offshore waters of US and Canada. I haven't inquired (yet) about a Mexico rider.  Policy includes all "standard" pollution coverage and $500k liability, with my yacht club/marina also listed as a named insured.  My premium did go up 15% this year, but still is only $640 per year. I do have a higher personal liability umbrella, through my homeowers insurer (a different company).

Noah, like you I have had BoatUS/Geico insurance for 30 years, never a claim, however I just received my renewal and they dropped my Agreed Value to $20,400, so be prepared for a shock when you get your renewal as our boats are the same age. I will contact them next week and see whether they agree to raise the agreed insured value back up. If not I will cancel Geico and go with Progressive that provided me a quote for a $35,000 agreed value. J.D. Power Blue Book value is $37,050 Low retail, $41950 high retail, so I have no idea how Geico came up with a $20,400 agreed value number.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Phil Spicer

I took my Geico paper work to my local car/home owner company so they knew what values to quote. I wanted to start with the same coverage as Geico/ BOAT us. (We started with Boat US in 1978 and have stayed with them for all their company changes...until now.) Changed to our home owner company and saved money with better coverage.
   Just my experience.
             Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.