Something is wrong with prop shaft boot

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

Coming off a short cruise, I noticed my bilge pump was coming on regularly. Upon inspection of the thru hulls...nothing. Then I went to the prop shaft and found what's in the photo. Water was running in from the hull, leaking out the shaft rubber boot. Also there was some sort of fibrous material in the boot. I pushed the fibrous pieces back in the boot and cranked down on the clamps and it stemmed the flow, but this isn't how it looked before I left (I had just replaced the clamps on the boot). I haven't been able to find photos inside a Catalina 34 hull without the shaft installed. Obviously before this happened there was something under the aft section of this boot of greater diameter than it is now.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

waughoo

It looks to me that the hose has slipped forward a fair amount.  Though I can't tell from this far away, it appears that the forward most hose clamp on the stern tube has come off the tube and is reducing the diameter of the hose.  My first recommendation would be to loosen those clamps on the stern tube and see if you can shift the hose aft, further onto the tube.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Porchhound

I've tried to shift it and clamp, but there doesn't seem to be much to clamp to. Any idea what these fibers came from? They were inside the boot.

If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Porchhound

Here is a photo I found on the net but it doesn't explain why the aft part of the boot collapses so with that bronze tube beneath it, or where those shredded fibers are coming from.

Porchhound

This is what it looked like before I replaced the clamps.

scgunner

Dave,

Where does fibrous material come from? Answer, fiberglass. It also looks like a fairly impressive crack in the fiberglass behind the shaft log. I'd say there's a date with your shipyard in the near future.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

rmjohns

I replaced that propeller shaft hose last year. On the mkii at least, the prop shaft tube fiberglassed into the hull appears to be only fiberglass, albeit pretty strong fiberglass. Mine sticks out from the hull maybe 3 inches, enough to get 2 normal hose clamps on and not much more.

I agree with Alex in comparing your two pictures, it looks like the hose has moved forward a bit. I'd take both the hose clamps off on the hull side and see if I couldn't push the whole thing aft.

And I can not say what the fiberous goop is. It almost looks like seaweed, but my guess is that if that's the original hose from 1986, with all the motion of the engine and prop shaft, it's probably due to be replaced and you're seeing some of the hose internals mixed with water.  But that's a guess.

Unfortunately that hose is not easy to replace. When is your next haul out?
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Porchhound

With the crack in the fiberglass I'm guessing ASAP on the haul out. Something appears to have disintegrated inside the hose because the diameter beneath the hose is reduced. I'm going to try and move it up and get it to stay, but now there's not much to clamp to.

Noah

It is possible the stern tube is crushed or damaged. What caused this, I don't know. But perhaps age and gross engine misalignment combined and over-tightening clamps? Or maybe just bad hose is the issue. Don't know and can't tell from pictures. But I would haul-out ASAP before motoring any distance.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Porchhound

Noah the mechanic came by and you were spot on. The tube was crushed. No way to know without haulout. I'm having the motor mounts changed, stern bearings, new shaft log tube. After mounts changed they'll have to inspect and align the shaft. Stuffing box repacked and inspection/repair of that fiberglass cracks.

Ron Hill

Dave : Noah is correct.  It looks like your are going to have to do some fiberglass/PVC tube work when you get on the hard!!  There have been a number of post recently (with in the past year) on replacing that hose on the packing gland!!

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

I'll get an estimate tomorrow, but the fiberglass work on the tube rebuild is going to be the most expensive. My friend who is head mechanic for that yard said he was concerned it could run up to or above $10K for everything on the list. This $32K boat is about to go way past resale value.

One question: On the Catalina 34 does the rudder have to be removed to slide the shaft out?

Noah

I'll answer last question. The shaft will slide out past the rudder (barely) but first you must remove the cutlass bearing.
Standard Rig

Noah

Shaft log part is available for $92.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-30/engine/props-etc/shaft-log-fiberglass/?SearchResults=1

Labor to remove and install/glass-in?
The motor mounts and alignment you can do yourself?
Parts for the rest (hose, cutlass bearing, motor mounts, etc.) under $1,000.

Standard Rig

Porchhound

Thanks for the link. I notice that Catalina Direct doesn't show a motor mount specifically for the M25 in a C34. Are they the same?