Has anyone put this alternator on MKll M35

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I'm thinking of buying this alternator.  Wanted to know what I'd get into replacing my stock, OEM, alternator on my 2001 MKll with M35 engine.  Leece-Neville Model 8MR2069TA Alternator in the for sale section.  Has anyone done this?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

The alternator you have puts out 55amps (I think) and the one in the for sale section is 90amps (I think).  You would want to make sure the wiring carrying the charge current was the right size for the amps you're delivering.  That's the first thing that comes to mind.  The rest is pretty straight change over stuff.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Jim

Plug that number into the search - I believe that there's some info on fitment in prior posts.

I sold one (I THINK it was that model) to an owner who had an M25 - no issue i know of installing it.
But I'll verify whether it was that model.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Jim : You shouldn't have any problem.  You might consider getting an external regular and be able to adjust the output amperage.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

EDITED 

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 14, 2023, 09:27:54 AM

I'll verify whether it was that model.

Jim
The Alt I was referring to earlier was an 8MR2058PA that a customer bought and was a direct drop-in on an M25.

IIRC, in the prior thread bout the 8MR2069TA that I recall Rod Collins had posted bout an issue with the foot and a special shim being necessary.  Suggest you search that out before pulling the trigger.

Maybe ASE can tell you if it is a direct drop-in for yours (presumably an 8MR2049K?)   

EDIT
Jim, I just realized Shamrock jas a Mando not Motorola alt on the 35B.  Maybe ASE can tell you if that foot/bolt diameter is a drop-in for your Mando on the 35B.

Was it you who had tried to ping Rod about an external regulator mod kit?  If so did you get one?  I recall someone had said he had a few left-- I tried emailing but no reply (yet.)

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

jfssail

Hi Jim, I replaced my original LN 8MR2030T 90amp alternator with a LN 8MR2069TA 90 amp back in 2009 after the original unit lost two diodes while motoring back to Port Clinton from Cleveland.  This unit came with a 2 5/8 pulley.
My engine was a 1993 M35AC.I sold Windancer last fall and is now located at Erie YC. I can give you the contact there if interested?
Best Regards, Jack Stewart, 330 206 5949
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

KWKloeber

***Jim***

Are you asking in reference to an M-35 or an M-35B ???
Two different engines!

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAre you asking in reference to an M-35 or an M-35B ???
Two different engines!

M35BC
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA