New Catalina Owner

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Ryan : Infact there have been numerous posts on this site on the installation of the Vetus engine mounts - in the past month !?!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

tvorgitch

Yes, take a look here: https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10963.0.html

I had a bit of difficulty disassembling the mounts, but a little acetone overnight solved that issue. If I had to do it again, I would use cyanoacrylate (super glue) to "pre-assemble" the hardware for the port rear mount as you can only get one hand in there. I ended up taping the washer and bolt together. That one mount took about 75% of the total time.
Tom Vorgitch
Goose III
1993 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1235
TR/FK
M35
Ventura, CA

Jim Hardesty

I'll jump in with my 2 cents.  I don't think you can get a good engine alignment with a worn out cutlas bearing and if the engine mounts are bad the cutlas bearing is probably ready to be replaced. A bad cutlas bearing can cause vibration when motoring.  Just wanted to give you a heads up on things that I think you should at least check out and possibly add to the project.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tvorgitch

100% agree. I was told during my pre-purchase survey that the shaft was worn and the wrong size cutlass bearing had been installed. I received a reduction for replacing the shaft, but after it was hauled out and the shaft cut, it was clear that the shaft was not worn. I believe the bad engine mounts made it difficult/impossible to align the shaft, so the bearing was worn very quickly.

The good news is that I ended up with a new SS shaft, but still experienced considerable vibration until I replaced the mounts.
Tom Vorgitch
Goose III
1993 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1235
TR/FK
M35
Ventura, CA