Water under the motor - Catalina 34 Mk I No.1224

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Cooper

Water coming in through the stern gland is not fully draining into the bilge, When sailing it overflows into the moulding below the engine.If I drill say to 1/4" holes into the corners of the moulding would that drain into the bilge or is there some obstruction under the moulding that may effect the draining

Mike Smith

Max -

You shouldn't have that much water coming in through the gland, just a drop or two a minute when the shaft is revolving. When sailing, you should have your transmission in reverse (engine off, of course) so the shaft is locked and kept from spinning, which can damage the transmission. With the shaft locked as described, you should have no drip at all. The packing gland nut may need to be tightened or the packing replaced. Also, the drain under the engine may be clogged. Just take some stiff wire and poke around in it until the water drains out. How much water is in your bilge? Water getting into the wooden moulding and sole of your boat will cause discoloration, mildew, mold, foul odors and other damage. The longer I have my boat, the less inclined I am to start drilling holes in it for any reason. There is usually a less drastic solution.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

Buddy

Max,
You do not want to drill a hole in the front of the fiberglass "pan" under the engine. It purposely has no hole to the bilge so that any oil spilled or leaking under the engine will not go to the bilge. As you know if you get oil in the bilge and pump it overboard you may be fined some very stiff fines. On my 1988 boat the packing drip was never enough to flow into the pan below the engine. I replaced it this summer with a dripless and have been very pleased... no water at all.

Buddy

Max Cooper - Fandango,Syd

Mike,

Thanks for the advice re the packing gland. I have the gland adjusted to allow one to two drips per minute with the shaft stationary,after running in gear,as per the Catalina Manual.With the engine in gear it is more like six to ten drips per minute.I do sail with the shaft locked.I'll double check the drain under the engine.

Max Cooper
"Fandango"
Sydney, Australia

Max Cooper,Fandango,Sydne

Steve,

Thanks for the diagram, I'm not sure as to whether this also applies to the 34 Mk I. I'll try Mike's suggestion first.

Max Cooper
"Fandango"
Sydney , Australia

Max Cooper

Ron
Thanks for that further information - I think that I have enough now to carry on with.

Max Cooper
"Fandango" Hull No. 1224 Year 1992
Sydney,Australia

Stu Jackson

Max

With Hull 1224, you could be a Mark II, perhaps your original message post missed the second (I) in Mark.  I keep forgetting what the hull # for the change to the Mark II was, and what year.

With the Mark II, Steve Lyle's recommendation applies.

Stu

PS

To have your sign in information include your hull # year and type, go to the followwing post, scroll down to the bottom for instructions.  It's a long post about how to identify yourself on your posts.  Hope all newcomers will also do so to better allow us to assist you.  As Ron says, we need to know your hull # and year.  Thanks,

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=300609811

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on October 31, 2003 at 11:17 AM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

alastairjames

Hi Max

I saw your post from sunny Sydney.  Where do you keep Fandango?  Moonshadow is at RPAYC on Pittwater.

Alastair

jentine

The Transmission should be locked in reverse while sailing.  Many racers place their's in neutral while sailing, which is _OK_>.  The only damage to the transmission is when it's locked in FORWARD while sailing.  Neutral will only add some extra wear to the cuttless bearing.
 APACHE #788  :)

ronphylhill@erols.com[/QUOTE]

Ron, Where did you get the information that the transmission should not be  locked in forward when sailing?  I spoke with the Hurth representative at the Annapolis boat show and he told me that the transmission would not be damaged no matter it's engagement.  The unit seems to be bulletproof.  Since it is a one speed gearbox, reverse and forward are the same gears with a reversing pawl.
Was the rep giving me bad advise?
Jim Kane

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Jim,

The admonishment to run in NEUTRAL/REVERSE and not forward is in the Universal Engine Operating Handbook.  Indicates that damage could result.  

If you have an engineering recommendation to the contrary, that's probably sufficient--however I'd recommend that you seek written guidance from the manufacturer, since there could be other issues with the transmission/engine interface that the transmission manufacturer may not be aware of.  In the interim, the prudent course of action is to follow the handbook guidance.  

Cheers,

Mike

jentine

Mike,
I have been sailing Jentine for the past 11 years in forward with no effect.  Forward and reverse are the same gear.  
In the old  days we used to start gasoline engines by towing them in forward gear and the rotation of the prop would be sufficient to start the engine.   I have always surmised that this was the basis for the "reverse while sailing" rule.  Whatever it is, the engineering data does not support the recommendation.
It is only when questioned that anything is learned.  If we believe only what some engineer has condecended to relay to the rest of us mortals as being factual, we are in great trouble.

Jim Kane

p.s.  Question, inquire, investigate, research, act.......all that is written is not factual.

p.s.s.  Could Universal (a defunct company) have been concerned with a possible warranty claim?  Maybe!!!  If everything that they have printed is to be taken for gospel, why do we have this forum?  Just read the manual.

tandm

It is my understanding that the gears are not the issue when sailing with a Hurth transmission engaged. The concern is directed toward the friction clutch. According to several sources sailing with a transmission in forward causes the clutch to slip and glaze, eventually requiring replacement. However, sailing in reverse prevents the clutch from slipping.  I am not at all familiar with with the internals of transmissions and do not know if this applies to our particular model of Hurth.  I do know that my boat came with a red tag attached warning against sailing with the transmission in forward.  This tag appeared to be from Hurth (not Universal or Catalina) and was preserved with the boats documentation by the previous owner. I guess that is enough reason from me to reach for the shift level and move it aft when setting sails.

td

Ray & Sandy Erps

When sailing, my transmission turns slowly and makes a funny noise when in forward, but not in reverse ('89 with 25XP).  After hearing the funny noise and determining it was coming from the transmission, I got out the book to see what it said.  It said to lock it in reverse.  I had improperly assumed that as long as it was in some gear, it was locked, but that was not the case.

Regarding leaving in neutral, I've heard with automatic car transmissions, that tow truck operators used to disconnect the driveline when towing a dead car.  I was told that the input shaft drives a lubrication pump to lube the transmission through the torque converter, but a spinning output shaft with a dead motor would not lube the transmission.  I don't know if that's the case with our boat transmissions but figured I may save a few dimes by locking the darn thing in reverse instead of leaving it in neutral and keeping my fingers crossed that it's okay.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA