What else is there to know?

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

I've been sailing for over 20 years.  Never knew you were supposed to sail with the transmission in reverse.  Never knew you were supposed to furl the headsail in while going downwind.  What other tidbits of knowledge should I be aware of?  Is there a book one could read to gather this knowledge?  This site is primarily maintenance and projects but at times some simple sailing lesson is in order.

Obviously we've been fine for all these years.  And our first boat had an outboard engine and no furler so I guess I didn't have an occasion to ask.  But for you new sailors, lots of things to learn.  And us "old" sailors, don't assume we should know - assume nothing. :)

Frank Stich

Hi Terry and Happy Halloween!

Excellent question - there is so much to know, and as a Navy Officer I've learned the hard way what happens when you "assume."

I have an ever growing library of books on sailing, boat maintenance, first aid at sea, knots, etc.  I don't think you'll find it all in one place, which is why I'm always reading.  I've found numerous used books in excellent condition dirt cheap (like $2) by searching for them on Amazon.com.

Take care,

Frank

#927 "Prime Interest"

Gene Regan

Wow !!!!!!

Sailing with transmission in reverse ???, unheard of , I believe the manual states never sail with the trans in gear .I've never in all the years sailed in any gear unless sometimes I forgot to go neutral, and then all the thoughts of a damaged trans ran through my mind.

If Hurth has info on sailing with gear in reverse I'd love to see it.
  Gene Regan
   Freeedom 713

gene regan

Frank Stich

The manual for the universal MXP-25 states in the "Hurth Transmission" section:

"DO NOT LEAVE GEAR IN FORWARD WHEN SAILING.  GEAR MUST BE IN NEUTRAL FOR FREE WHEELING OR SHIFTED INTO REVERSE TO LOCK PROPELLER WHILE SAILING."

Like Terry, I put mine in reverse as I do not want the propeller turning resulting in unnecessary wear while I'm sailing.

The manual is on this website Gene!

Frank

#927 "Prime Interest"

Frank Stich

Oops, that's the M-25XP not MXP-25.  Must have spent too much time at sea...

#927 "Prime Interest"

tandm

The original Universal "Marine Diesel Owners Manual" has a 5 page section on the Hurth transmission and states in capital letters:

CAUTION:
DO NOT LEAVE GEAR IN FORWARDED WHEN SAILING.  GEAR MUST BE IN NEUTRAL FOR FREE WHEELING OR SHIFTED INTO REVERSE TO LOCK PROPELLER WHILE SAILING.

Since I have a feathering prop, I usually keep the transmission in reverse to insure that the prop feathers properly. Admittedly, if the prop is working correctly, I could leave it in forward without damaging the transmission because of the feathering feature.  But...

td

Gene Regan

Hello all,

Thanks for clearing that up for me now I'll not worry as much when in reverse.

Gene regan

gene regan

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Curious if any hydrodynamisists in the group know weather a spinning prop or non-spinning prop produces more drag.  We used to use a technique for prop-stopped glides in piston-engined airplanes without feathering props to improve L/D...would think the fluid principle is the same, but physics can be counter-intuitive...

Cheers,

Mike

Ted Pounds

MIT did some research on the subject a few years back which was written up in Practical Sailor.  I believe the results showed less drag with the prop spinning.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447