Air Filter

Previous topic - Next topic

rwilkinsii

I am trying to recall where i saw that someone used a K&N air filter on the M25 and if so what model was it? I looked at my filter and it looks to be pretty bad and would like to know what most people are replacing it with.

Thanks     :rolleyes:

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

jentine

How much dust and dirt do you suppose is present in sea air?  A K&N filter is a very costly way to replace a foam filter.  I have used K&N filters for mobile applications and have not noticed any difference in performance or mileage.  They do allow a lot more air in than paper filters.  Is this detramental to the engine as far a inlet of microscopic particulate?  I don't know.  What I do know is that a K&N filter on a marine diesel is a waste of money.
Jim Kane

Jim "SV Ohana"

Rich;
I found the K&N info on the Catalina 36 site (one of the guys with a projects page), ordered the recommended model (from an outfit on the internet selling K&N discounted), was under 25 boat units, fit and works great. It's a universal fit motocycle filter, when I go down to the boat I'll get you the model number, etc. I've had several foam filters eaten by small diesels and my universal tried to ingest one of the chopped metal ones. The K&N should last as long as I do and no worries.
Jim

rwilkinsii

Jim thanks for that info..I look forward to getting the numbers form you.. I was down today and noticed that the filter on it was in real bad shape as most of the other stuff from the PO. I just bought the boat 3 months ago and trying to refresh it and enjoy it at the same time.

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

Ran139

I pulled my air cleaner off to clean and re-oil and was sickened to see some of the mesh particles hanging through the screen to the engine side.I figure if a few were hung up in the screen there must have been a few ingested.
You could argue that the fine particles would be burned in the cylinder but I figure why take the chance. I pulled the mesh out of the canister and will rely on the oiled foam to catch the minimum dust.

Jim "SV Ohana"

Rich,
The part number is KNRU-2450: Universal Rubber Filter, fit right on the intake tube like it was made for it.  My engine is m25xp vintage 91.
Ordered filter from AJ-USA in SanDiego 858 452 8900, was 25.97 delivered to Florida about 2 months ago.
Jim

rwilkinsii

Jim: Thanks for the info.. I will give them a call. What part of Florida are you in?

Rich

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

Jim "SV Ohana"

Rich,
We sail out of punta gorda/Charlotte harbour in SW Florida
Jim