Salon Table Ideas - Table FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

I am looking for ideas to replace the standard Catalina 34 salon table.  The current one is excessively large and difficult to get a group of people around.  I have seen the great ideas that are posted in the Wiki and while I would love to embark on some of those, my carpentry skills are lacking.  Has anyone ever had luck in finding an inexpensive Pre-manufactured table top (unfinished) and mounted it in the salon?  I'm looking for even more creative solutions from the members than those already posted in the Wiki.  
As an example... I've been eyeballing  :shock: our old 23" round lazy Susan from the dining table for possible conversion into a round cocktail table in the salon.  The Admiral is not entirely sold on this idea.   Hmmmm maybe the coffee table in the family room will work.... :shock: :shock: :shock:   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stephen Butler

We have seen a number of pre-made table tops in Home Depot, Lowes, and Ikea.  You would have to finish one of them, but they come in a varity of sizes, woods, etc.  Also, there are several teak wood companies, as well as local cabinet makers that would gladly make you a custom table.  Just some thoughts.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

scotty

How funny.  Yesterday Lisa and I went down to the boat for (leftovers) Thanksgiving Day-2 dinner.  I was looking at the table thinking the same as you.  I think a small table (perhaps I'll need to cut it down?) just as Stephan sugested will be cheep and work fine.  I'll keep the old table stored for future use.  A yard sale might be a great place to find such a table.
Scotty

RV61

A friend of mine gave me a piece of scrap corian that was just perfect smaller size and color. Love it as can easily get to the starboard side sliders and in and out around the table.  Big table now lives in basement except when we need the bunk space a couple time a year.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Look underneath and see how it is attached.

Figure out what size YOU want for YOUR boat, and simply GO FOR IT.

Whatever we say cannot possibly answer what will work for YOU and your significant other.  Really...

I've put off implementing any or all of the changes you've mentioned, and I have been around since they were all first posted.   :D :D :D

In addition to the wiki, you have, of course, done a search on this Message Board, right?  I recall lots of photos and ideas, plus the "Knowledgebase" - right?

Sounds like you've done your homework.  Good on you!  :D

Just don't tell the Admiral that you sized your new table based on a toilet bowl seat.

Why?

It's already been done.  :abd:

Good luck.

Oh, one other thing...

Send us the both the before AND after pictures when you're done.   :thumb:

And what you've done with the original table unless you cut it down...

Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fuzzy

We use a simple portable folding table (from Wal-Mart or similar) that works good.  It's big enough for 2 to eat at and
it will fold up and store easily in the aft cabin when not being used, making for a large "living rm." type of space.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

yonar

I am in Southern CA. I had this one built by H&L Lumber Co. 5 years ago. It is 4" shorter on three sides. Cost was $247.-. Pricy but well worth it. When pushed down and cushion inserted still used as an additional bed. No comfort compromise. Now I can get around table with no difficulty. 
Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA

Barry White

Hi to all, if you have some wood working skills (or a friend who does), a 3/4 " thick half sheet of birch plywood, with the right stain and satin urethane final finish, you can achieve a  nice result. We found that access to the seating was a problem with the stock table, so by creating a shape that rounded the pointy corners retains a good size, while eliminating the awkward access. Not usable as a sleep accommodation but that's what the cabins are for.
Cheers,

Barry

Lance Jones

Look at the projects section of the website!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Kevin Henderson

I think I'm on the trail to something great. :thumb:
I have an unfinished furniture dealer/manufacturer nearby my home.  I went in and asked an approx $$ for a simple unfinished table top in the 20"x30" range.  Bear in mind that this is just a preliminary but I would get a 3/4" Birch plywood center with Alder edging out the door for $50.  I was so impressed that I'm going to go with a more Boat Shape rectangular table and I'm going to refine the exact dimensions.  I'm also considering a decorative inlay before I finish it.  I'll let you know how it comes out and provide pictures later.  :abd: 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Clay Greene

You might consider a folding horizontal table with two leaves.  In the folded position, it really opens up the salon and makes it so much easier to get to the sliding doors and the starboard hatches.  We had ours made in teak to match the interior wood and our sliding doors. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Roland Gendreau

I built an inexpensive table some time ago and posted the article here:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4798.0.html

It has held up well and we have enjoyed the ease of getting in and around it.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Indian Falls

This table is an ellipse that is 17'' x 36''.  Its made from black cherry 3/4'' boards glued up and planed flat one side. 
To make a perfect ellipse you use some string and 2 pins then cut along the line with your choice of cutting tool.   In this case I used an industrial laser and programmed the ellipse, laser cut makes the edge burnished black so I left it that way.  I applied about 7 hand rubbed coats of boiled linseed oil cut 50/50 with mineral spirits.  The surface is a bit soft compared to polyurethane, but is nice and glossy and easy to repair if scratched.    I get a lot of "wow" 's when people go below.  The cherry grain and natural color is unexpectedly impressive.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?