M25 XP photo forensics

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

Hello guys. I thought I would start a new topic with regard to my engine. I am grateful for all the input thus far and I am wading through every engine topic I can find in both the tech notes and wiki.
I also bought a super book that helps address my initial question for an idiots guide to engine inspection. Nigel Calder has a DIY Engine Survey starting at Page 134 of Marine Diesel Engines.
Notwithstanding all the reading I am doing, a picture is worth a lot and I figured you may give me some additional pointers based on some photos. I have about a dozen.
I can clearly see some issues and I am now even more skeptical of my "surveyor" and the PO. I would be concerned to take my otherwise lovely boat beyond my 100 mile towing limit.
Here goes with the first set of photos.
Yeah, it's got an Oberdorfer!
And a hose that goes under the floor and flops around in the engine compartment!
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

anon

Next set of photos:
The wiring scares me and I obviously have original hoses that need replacement.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

anon

More photos:
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

anon

Yet more:
One forward engine mount bracket is corroded and one looks fine.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

anon

And more:
Shocking to see tape around a hose.

"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

anon

Last set (for now  :D)
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Noah

I am not a mechanic but at first glance:
The good: you have a new $65 air cleaner assembly.
The bad: need to replace the engine wiring harness ASAP

The "mystery" Trident flex hose not attached at one end...don't know. Trace where the other end goes. It may just be a random hose scrap dumped there?

Check all your other hoses for cracking and flexibility. Some may need replacing. Other readers will certainly have more observations based on your photos

BONUS TIP:
Basic engine system things to know if you plan on cruising:
1. Understand the sounds/smells your engine and boat make so you can anticipate/suspect/indentify problems.

2. Learn how to: change oil, change fuel filters, bleed engine fuel system, change tranny fluid, change coolant and bleed cooling system, change water pump impeller, change HX zinc, adjust stuffing box.

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

sophie : As I mentioned you before you need to get a diesel mechanic or another boat owner with an M25XP engine and to go over what you are the owner of.

The alternator bracket is an issue for the M25 engine NOT the M25XP engine.  You need to read more thoroughly !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

sophie

photos confirm you have an earlier XP (important if needing certain major engine parts.)

tagging onto Noah's comment on the hoses - squeeze as tight as you can, if soft, replace immediately.  with all the paint, it may be tough to see cracking, but do best you can. 
Also check your vented loop valve.

other;

here's some items a pre-purchase survey (visual only) should have reported; I'm trying to keep it brief, not a "how-to" service  manual. 
NOTE: some are critical.  Others need attention before an extended cruise.  Some are PM/peace of mind because you don't "know" the engine.  Or, just run her until something "breaks."
It depends a lot on your goal - pinch pennies, go for bronze, silver, or gold plan.

The floppy hose is one of two for the water heater.  2nd one missing?

new thermostat bypass hose indicates PO disconnected the WH - is it removed or inoperable/leaks, does it work off of 120vac?

The painted coolant pump hose indicates your alt bracket is OE, not added later.

appears there's no coolant overflow reservoir - add one.

cheap insurance to change the coolant pressure cap.

Ob pump might need service. check the cover for wear from the impeller - it can be refaced to make it good as new.  remove and throw away the cir-clip on the pump shaft, it's useless.

The corroded engine mount indicates a saltwater leak - maybe the Ob pump or a hose?

her old style thermostat cap doesn't have a hi-temp alarm switch - fairly easy to add on.

check and test the thermostat

run a breather hose into the air intake.

the fuel filter is ORIGINAL (painted) I presume there's a primary filter/water separator?

Hx has been removed at least 1X; ck it to ensure ends/tubes are clear, check the zinc anode -- eventually clean and pressure test it.

she's a mongrel earlier XP- not bad, just is. 
has the old (M-25) bell housing, new (3") Hx, and an Hx bracket from the M-35, you won't find it in the XP parts list.  later XPs has a redesigned bell housing and Hx mount.  Universal morphed from the M-25 to the final XP configuration -- it wasn't a clean break (probably used up parts that were on hand.)

exhaust riser looks like a OEM black iron pipe, not stainless. check it for integrity, especially at water injection; replace the corrugated hose w/ a silicone hump hose.

muffler - Aqualifts can leak at seams and have damage @ the inlet.  so it depends on what you find w/ the riser.  best to inspect and proactively reinforce the seams if you want to extend life. 

alternator - paint on the pump hose confirms your alt bracket is original, not added.

check the alt alignment and verify it has the correct size bolts, add a frame ground cable; i prev. mentioned the alt belt,

appears the starter solenoid was replaced at least 1X. if you need to again there's a better version.

she has 1/0 gauge battery cables. good!

neg battery cable is on the bell housing, move to a starter bolt.

harness negative wire should be on a better ground (i.e., add neg bus in eng compartment)

harness terminals (very few I could see) are in "good" (ie, not perfect) condition.  Wires (what is visible) seems in good condition, no splits, chafing, exposed copper.

she has the better universal plug, terrible catalina plug (there will be two more behind the panel.)  harness is non-abyc compliant.

options depend on your long term goal (replace or make do?):
  a- get into compliance, eliminate fire hazard; into better condition <$20
  b- into even better condition <$30
  c- best condition w/o replacing it <$40
  d- Ammeter eventually needs to be replaced w/ voltmeter <$30 (when, depends on long term goal for panel)
If long term you'll do major panel/harness refurb, then could do to the minimum until then.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anon

Thank you so very much for the awesome advice Ken. That is exactly what I was looking for when I originally posted.
I wish I could repay you for your time.
Thanks again. I was becoming a little dispirited, although nowhere near ready to follow one piece of advice I received yesterday!
I hope you have a lovely weekend.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

KWKloeber

Albie,

U r Welcome.
Understand those are JTSO, others' opinions and your mileage may vary.  If you need more on an individual item you don't see in the TW/TN library, ask.  We can take it offline or if it pertains to other members' situation, stay here.

If you are not schooled on exactly what and how the harness does what it does, Stu and i talked about a basic harness primer.  I got it half done, but needs more work. 
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8385.msg59165.html#msg59165

Also needs the "fix it" section (it may have some newer info than what's in the reference library(ies).

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Indian Falls

Is that the original spin on filter for the injection pump??
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

anon

I have no idea if it is the original spin on filter. I am trying to learn.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Noah

The fact that it is painted bronze kinda is suspicious. I would start with a clean (known) slate and change it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anon

It seems that I was lied to by the PO, somebody I know! He said that all the critical upgrades were done including the harness and that the engine had been serviced and inspected by the local (supposedly reputable) diesel experts at the harbor. The "surveyor" actually looked at the engine, listened to it and pronounced it to be fine. (All part of his near $500 inspection).
Where do I find an honest and competent diesel tech? I work 60 hours a week so I will not have time to work on the boat until I am unemployed or retired.
After what I have seen and read I am not comfortable taking the boat out until I am sure the engine and electrics are squared away.
It seems that there are a lot of cowboys about.
#anotherdisillusionednewboatowner
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP