Companionway Screeching New stocked Available

Previous topic - Next topic

mholzmann

Many years back Graham Mackay posted a solution to a screeching companionway hatch sliding against the cabin top.  I followed his instructions to the letter and it solved my problem. This solution was posted on the Catalina 36 forum.

Basically you slide a strip of HDPE into the hatch glide channel and the steel glides move smoothly without that horrible screeching of metal on dirty gel coat.  The strip of HDPE plastic is 72"x 1"x 1/16".  Simple solution but finding the material without purchasing a 4' by 8' sheet of HDPE is almost impossible.  So I bit the bullet and purchased the material and had the plastic cut to the required pieces.  So I have 18 sets of glide plastic.  When there gone there gone.  I wont be quitting my day job.  Contact me at holzie-at-gmail if your interested.  For a nominal charge I'll mail a set to you.  They  really do work!

https://youtu.be/1AOsPGluaDs

Ron Hill

mho : I did the same by placing a strip of Lexan between the hatch and the slot it rides in.  Stopped the noise!!

You can also look for some material that carpenter shops use for the table top strips for their saws.  Any material that will make the hatch slide easier with the least friction. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

I'm interested in a set, and just sent you an email as you requested.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Mine has yet to screech, but...
I assume on your strips you have to remove the hatch and screw them to the deck with flush countersunk screws?
Has anyone tried this Teflon hatch tape product from CD?
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1312_932/sliding-hatch-teflon-tape.cfm
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Whiskymac

Interested too, email sent.

Jeremy
Jeremy Lewis. 1988 C-34 #711. Standard rig, shoal draft
Yanmar  3GM30

mholzmann

Quote from: Noah on July 24, 2017, 05:13:32 PM
Mine has yet to screech, but...
I assume on your strips you have to remove the hatch and screw them to the deck with flush countersunk screws?
Has anyone tried this Teflon hatch tape product from CD?
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1312_932/sliding-hatch-teflon-tape.cfm

Actually the beauty of this simple fix is you slide them in without removing anything.  The trick with the plastic strip is it cant be more than 1/16".  To install I just flush fresh water down the channel to rinse any sand or grit.  After that you just slide them under the two metal glides that are grinding against your gelcoat.  Later model C36 and C34 have a lip that keeps the hatch from sliding beyond the hatch boards earlier do not.  With earlier model boats I have use double side foam tape at the end of the strip, not the whole way, maybe 1.5" long or a dab of silicone glue to keep the strip in place but I have seen folks just lay them in and friction holds them in place.   HDPE is the correct material because is UV resistant.

britinusa

On our previous boat - C250 - we used a PTFE Tape, worked great, only snag was that it was self adhesive and did not stick well to the curved surface beneath the hatch cover.

Looking to do the same on our C34.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

mregan

I rub some beeswax on mine at the beginning of each season.  Lasts throughout the summer.

mholzmann

Quote from: britinusa on July 25, 2017, 09:49:05 AM
On our previous boat - C250 - we used a PTFE Tape, worked great, only snag was that it was self adhesive and did not stick well to the curved surface beneath the hatch cover.

Looking to do the same on our C34.

Paul
Been there and done that.  If you want to take the sliding hatch apart you can replace the Teflon tape that Catalina originally installed.  No fun.  This fix takes 5 minutes tops.  Regarding bees wax when sand dirt and grit get in the track its harder to clean once you've coated with bees wax or any other lubricant.

mholzmann

Paypal payment link:

I am learning as I go.  I have helped about 7 boat owners live quieter lives!!  The link below takes you right to the page to pay.  Pretty cool!!

Click this  paypal.me/markholzmann/15

Ron Hill

Guys : the Lexan strips that I cut were 1/16" thick and a bit over 5 ft long.  I countersunk a small flat head brass screw to hold the strips in place

Wrote that up years ago in the Mainsheet tech notes.  Worked and is still working like a CHAMP!!!

Since that time I found some "slippery" material that they use for table saws tables.  However, I never had to install it as the Lexan still works!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mholzmann

The real trick is finding lengths necessary without having to buy a huge sheet like I did.  If you can great if not let me know.  I have about 8-9 sets left.

Craig Illman

mholzmann

This has been a fun project and great success!  Several folks have written back to say they work and how easy it is and how happy they are!!
I have about 4 sets left out the original run of 22 sets.  Should I order another run?? Are there enough squeaky hatches to rescue?  Will Timmy get out of the well?  Will Lois find out Clark's true identity?  Stay tuned

mark_53

Thanks Mark, I received the strips and slid in no problem. Looks like friction isn't quite enough to hold in place securely. The strips slide around (but haven't come out) inside the channel.  I'll probably use Ron's approach and try a couple stainless screws to secure. Thanks for cutting these. Nice cuts too.