Tech notes problem-dual line reefing to cockpit

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskymac

Hi, I'm about to enter my second season with my 34, my first "big" boat. I have obtained LOADS of great info from the forum, tech notes and wiki searches.
One of my main off season projects is to set up my boat for reefing as the PO always stayed in port over 15 knots and no reefing hardware is in place.
I have done several searches on the subject but still have many questions. I have seen a mainsheet article of Nov 2003 referenced but cannot access it. I am a member and do put in the username/password but only one article for 2003 comes up as a clickable link, and it's not the one on dual line reefing. Maybe I don't fully understand the system.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy
Jeremy Lewis. 1988 C-34 #711. Standard rig, shoal draft
Yanmar  3GM30

Stu Jackson

Jeremy, you're doing things right, I checked and "it's at our end."  We'll look into it and let you know asap.  Thanks for your patience.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DaveBMusik

Are you comfortable going to the mast in heavy air or do you want lines led to the cockpit? Pros and cons to each...
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

wm, here's the text of that article  (no pictures):  See November 2003 Tech Notes Online

Double Line Double Reefing  by Stu Jackson   August 13, 2003

The major advantage of double line reefing is that you have the ability to individually tension the tack and the clew when reefed.  We have found that the clew requires more tension on the reefing line, primarily because the angle of the clew reefing line is at 45 degrees from the cringle, while the tack reefing line is perpendicular to its cringle.  The angled line needs more tension to achieve the same strength.  Single line reefing systems, while popular and very useful, inherently can't maintain different tensions on the clew and tack at the same time.

We inherited our setup when we purchased "Aquavite" from her only owner in 1998.  I had never experienced a system like this before, and I spent some time tracing the lines and understanding how it worked, before we first went out in conditions that required its use.  That doesn't mean I was able to work it first time out, but at least we figured out where the apparent spaghetti was supposed to be after I messed up and then got the operation down to a science.  You can do it, too.  The descriptions are for double reef points, but are just as applicable to single reefs.

There are three basic parts of the system: cockpit controls and sheet stoppers (clutches), deck organizers and mast/boom turning blocks, and end boom fittings.

The end boom fittings are the easiest, and require only the same hardware as any other reefing gear.  We have a single long track on the starboard side, with two adjustable blocks.  Our boom has the reefing lines run inside the boom through slots cut into the boom at the aft end and forward near the gooseneck, although it would be just as easy to run the lines outside the boom through eye straps, although I'd choose separate sides to do this to run forward outside the boom. If the lines are run outside the boom, blocks could be put on the boom to turn the clew lines down to the base of the mast.

The forward boom / gooseneck / deck fittings are the most complicated.  We have two level deck organizers with five blocks on each side.  On the port side: the first reef clew, second reef clew and second reef tack (plus the cunningham and vang).  On the starboard side: first reef tack (plus main halyard, lazy jacks, and mainsheet - one block empty).

The clew reefing lines are brought from the boom to a double block fastened to the mast just below the gooseneck and turned down, through another multiple part block at the base of the mast to the deck organizers, and then led aft to the cockpit.  The tack lines are easier: one end of each tack line is tied through the center of a cleat on each side of the mast, run up through the reefing cringle, down to the base of the mast through the same multiple part block that the clew lines lead through, and then to the deck organizers and back aft.

In the cockpit, the three lines to port go to three sheet stoppers.  Each is labeled with a Dymo label on the top of the sheet stopper handle.  While we have a double and a single, a triple clutch would work just as well.  The single reef tack goes to a sheet stopper on the starboard side.  We use a sheet stopper for the mainsheet (left open when sailing) because it gets rid of the useless gray cam cleat that never worked, and allows us to keep the mainsheet tight when at anchor.  The other sheetstopper on starboard is for the main halyard.

In use, the system is actually simpler than a single line reef, although it may at first appear to be harder.  To reef, going upwind, for instance, keep sailing on the jib.  Sheet out the mainsheet to luff the main.  Release the halyard (to a pre-marked point), while pulling in on the tack line and then the clew line.  The tack reefing line should come in easily, occasionally the clew reefing line will require final adjustment with the cabin top winch, one of the reasons why it's there.

Each reefing line is also pre-marked with black bands.  No gooseneck hooks are needed, since the tack line runs up from the mast cleat and through the cringle.  No need to ever go forward, except to tie the reefing lines on the sail around the the boom.

The pictures show each portion of the arrangement.

Extra Added Bonus Tech Tip: Line Management in the Cockpit without Additional Hardware

Many people use sheet bags and extra hardware to control lines in their cockpit.  We don't need any and just coil the lines.  The starboard side cockpit picture at the aft end of the coach shows how we coil our lines without the use of any extra snaps, hooks, velcro, bags or bungee cords.   Simple: coil the line, reach inside the top of the loop to the connected end of the line, grab it and pull through the loop and twist it once over the top of the loop, tug to tighten, and drop.  It's just like flaking lines, is all it takes, with no extra hardware, and they hang on their own weight.  The coiled lines shown are: mainsheet (hooked over the cleat), starboard traveler control line and lazy jack line.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

STU- you are the best custodian of ALL things 34 and more!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Whiskymac

Thanks Stu, that helps a lot. My main only has one reef point and I plan to set up dual line reefing back to the cockpit as I am often short/single handed.
I am having trouble figuring out whether/where all the hardware will fit as I would like to put triple clutches on both sides as well as bringing the traveler controls back to the cockpit ( currently inaccessible infront of the dodger). I'm thinking of using 2 cam cleats for the traveler lines, either 2 to port or one port and one starboard. Any advice on this setup would be welcome and if anyone could post photos of their setup that would be especially helpful.

Thanks.
Yanmar  3GM30

Jon W

Just finally finished a complete rig upgrade. My traveler control lines pass thru the dodger to a camcleat on each side of the cabin top. I have a single line reefing system for 2 reef points on the main. All lines are now led back to the cockpit. I'll get some photos tomorrow and post here.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Whiskymac

Thanks Jon I will be interested to see your photos. I particularly would like to see how the triple clutches (if you fitted them) fit onto the existing teak pads and where the camcleats were mounted to clear the hatch in the head. Ron Volk of Goose III already gave me some pointers but he has a Mk II.
Yanmar  3GM30

Jon W

I made new teak pads for triple Spinlok's port and starboard. I started with only one teak pad on the starboard side with one single clutch and one jam cleat on it. I don't have a hatch into the head, only the small solar powered fan.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Whiskymac on January 29, 2017, 06:27:24 AM
Thanks Jon I will be interested to see your photos. I particularly would like to see how the triple clutches (if you fitted them) fit onto the existing teak pads and where the camcleats were mounted to clear the hatch in the head. Ron Volk of Goose III already gave me some pointers but he has a Mk II.

wm,

Here are some photos:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7161.0.html

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4998.0.html

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Jeremy I've attached some photos below (excuse the sanding dust from a current project). They show the port side, starboard side, a closer look at the starboard clutches, camcleat, and the hardware used to redirect the traveler lines down and thru the dodger. I believe the camcleat is mounted on a spacer by one of the PO's.

Port side lines - small line near winch is the vang, white with blue flecks on the companionway cover is the main sheet, green with white flecks line is the traveler.

Starboard side lines - blue line is the first reef, red line is the second reef, white around the winch is the main halyard, green with white flecks line is the traveler.

Hope this is helpful.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on January 29, 2017, 01:33:04 PM
Stu- wrong photo links I believe?

Only ones I could find quickly showing the sheetstoppers and traveler control lines.

Stu Jackson

1.  The Nov 2003 Double Line Reefing has been posted.  Thanks to Sue Clancy.

2.  Here are some photos of the clutches.  Since I took those photos and wrote the article, I replaced the dodger.  The old slit has been removed, replaced with just a single hole on each side for the traveler control lines. The slits were there because of the old traveler cam cleat which used to be on the track.  I replaced that with a new 6:1 sheave assembly from Garhauer, who put turning blocks on the top of the end cars.  The cam cleats are now at the aft end of the cabintop.