Dodger Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

For those of you who have dodgers, is the foot of the frame mounted on top of or on the side of the cabin? Is there a preferred location?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

waterdog

Put it on top.   You don't want your shorts getting caught every time you go forward.   (But make sure you have room to put a handle on the winch).   And speaking of going forward, put some nice grab handles on the side.  Well worth the extra cost.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ken Juul

here are some examples i found on Yachtworld.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

More dodger flix.  This is our OLD dodger from pictures I took before we had it recovered.  We kept the frame. As noted, the side handrails are an important SAFETY feature and should be included.  I have yet to see a dodger where you can use the cabintop winches with a complete freedom of action.  The ratcheting feature of the winches allows use in about less than half of the throw, so just go back and forth with the winch handle.  The slots in the front glass panel were from the old dodger setup, which we replaced with fixed grommets when we redid the traveler.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : All of the C34 dodgers I've seen have the frame attached to the sides.  Most of these have been made locally and not by Catalina.
I'd STRONGLY recommend that you get the side hand holds like Stu has, as well a full length hand hold along the aft portion. These hand holds are really handy, promote safety and substantially strengthen the dodger frame.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Flix from the other day, new dodger.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Pictures of how mine is mounted.  If you take care when you bend the bows, slightly outboard then back to the mounts, you can still get a full circle when using the winches.  Note to self, pick up the boat before taking pictures!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA