Engine Coolant

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Sail

Ken,
You are right. I appeared to mix up two articles I read, which gave conflicting explanations of the problem.  I described one and quoted the other.  Looks like I should pay more attention. I will go back and revise my posts, but I agree with the general consensus that it is probably safer to use distilled water for diluting antifreeze.  As to flushing, it's probably overkill, but if it makes one feel better to flush with distilled water, it certainly isn't hurting anything.

KWKloeber

J

OK, gotcha.  Glad to know I wasn't going batty (this time, or any more than usual.)
Agree on both your observations re using DI water.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : Because draining and flushing is a pain on a Universal engine, here's what I did before Prestone came out with extended life anti-freeze.

I would open the cap on the coolant reservoir and take out about a pint.  Then I would replace it with Prestone  Water Pump Lubricant.  This would rejuvenate both the water pump lube and also the anti corrosion in the existing anti-freeze. 
I,d get a few more years before having to drain and refill with new antifreeze.

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788