Difficulty shifting into forward

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Twice on the same drawing or whatever.  There's a 100% chance that at some point at least at least 50% of them will end up wrong.

I'm trying to do away with double posting directly to manuals etc. because there's too many places in TW that you need to revise if there's a change. I've made a note to replace it with a link to the manual's page where they will reside. That way  it's easier to manage all at one location, and if there's a revision It needs to be done only one location.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Breakin Away

No worries. I realize that it's always a work in progress.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Solitaire

Thanks everyone for your advise and comments.

Being a relatively new boat owner, I don't have much experience and I was accepting my mechanic's advice that the cable was adjusted as good as it could be. Today I checked the travel of the shift lever and found it only moved 29 mm in forward and 40  mm in reverse whereas it should be 35 mm at least in both directions. No wonder I'm having trouble getting into forward! So that's obviously the first thing that needs to be done before any work is done on the gearbox.

Thanks again!
Derek Curtin
Solitaire, Mk II, #1801, 2008
Sydney, Australia

KWKloeber

That reminds me of my M-I-L's favorite axioms (to which I have added my own experience): "Just because someone does it for a living (and has a sign on the side of the pickup truck, or some letters after their name) doesn't necessarily mean that they're good at it."   Sad but true.

All owners have to find out as much as they can about their boats and boat systems, and use their gut and common sense when hiring out work.

For instance, when checking around to have work done, ask things like, "How many times have you run across this problem on an "xyz (engine/boat/rudder/fuller/ whatever",) and what was the range of cost to fix it?"

Every owner, especially new ones, need to use all their available resources-especially those here!!  And other owner experiences before plunking down the cash.  Unless of course one has the wherewithal and a fat checkbook, and has made the decision that they don't mind plunking down that cash even when it's unnecessary or overcharged.

Sailors, and boaters in general are odd ducks. We oftentimes tend to use "new to" as an crutch for not knowing something.   It's not a crutch; being "new to" = a REQUIREMENT that we learn all we can about our vessels.   Or again, make the conscious decision that cost isn't an issue.  True story: "My ex-husband used to take care of the cars so I'm new to all this. I bought the 50/50 mix, but I didn't realize that (pointing) the anti-freeze goes in here, and not over here (the oil filler.)"

kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Bringing this home to a personal experience......  soon after purchasing her, I experienced overheating on my C-30 M-25.  The yard/broker/Catalina dealer recommended that their diesel mechanic take a look-see.

After two evenings of fiddling, and replacing the thermostat, pressure cap, and gauge sender, he said he didn't know what the problem was and that he'd run out of ideas.  And, that the gate mixing valve between the heat exchanger return hose and to coolant line to water heater, was added by "someone" and he didn't know why it was there.  He wanted to charge me for only the parts, but I threw a little cash his way to cover some of his time.

The next day the C-30 Association 3-ring Tech Talk binder arrived in the mail and I read it cover to cover (before Gore invented the internet.)  That evening after work I burped the cooling system.  And subsequently learned that the C-30s were quirky because the water heater was the highest and air-lock-settling point, and that the mixing valve was Catalina OEM supplied on circa '84 M-25s.

I don't know if there was a sign on, nor even if he had, a pickup truck--but he was the Buffalo area Catalina DEALER's mechanic.

kk